18 Jump the Shark: Part 2

We followed Adam to his house, and he led us into his living room. Dean picked up a picture of Adam and Dad at a baseball game, and the three of us examined it.

I got to be honest, I was feeling a little bit jealous. I mean, Adam knew nothing about hunting. Dad kept him away from all that and just took him out to do normal fun things.

"He took you to a baseball game?" Dean asked.

Adam nodded. "Yeah, when I turned fourteen. Dad was around for a few of my birthdays."

Sam held up Dad's journal, flipped through a couple pages, and read, "September 29th, 2004. One word, 'Minnesota.'"

"He took you to a friggin' baseball game?" Dean asked, sounding a little jealous.

"Yeah. Why? What'd Dad do with you on your birthday?" Adam asked and took the picture from Dean.

"Oh..." Dean frowned.

"Adam, you said you called Dad because your mom was missing," Sam interrupted.

Adam nodded. "Yeah."

"How long has she been gone?" Sam asked.

"Three days," Adam said.

"Who was the last person to see her?" Dean asked.

"Mr. Abbinanti, our neighbor. He saw her come home Tuesday night, but she never showed up to work on Wednesday," Adam explained.

"Did you call the police?" Sam asked.

Adam nodded. "Mom's supervisor at the hospital did. And then I drove down here as fast as I could." He paused and thought for a moment. "I should have been here."

"What'd the, uh, what'd the cops say?" Dean asked.

"That they, uh, they searched the house. They didn't find anything." Adam paused, looking emotional. "She wouldn't leave without telling anybody. It's like she just dropped off the face of the Earth, ya know?"

Adam led Dean and me into his mom's bedroom, while Sam searched the living room, there were more pictures of the three of them on display. Dean shifted the dresser, but there was nothing behind it, so he put it back.

"You said, the, uh, nightstand was knocked over. Was there anything else?" Dean asked.

Adam shook his head. "Oh, not really. The sheriff said there's no sign of a break-in."

Dean continued to look around.

"What, you think the cops missed something?" Adam asked.

Dean nodded. "Maybe. Yeah. They don't have my eyes."

"You're a mechanic," Adam said.

Dean nodded. "Yeah. That's right."

Adam hesitated. "What else can you tell me about Dad?"

I shrugged, not really knowing what I could tell him. I didn't really want to burst his rainbow and butterfly memories of Dad.

"You knew him," Dean said.

Adam shook his head. "Not as well as you."

Dean sighed. "Trust me, kid, you don't want to know."

Adam looked disappointed, and then Sam appeared in the door, holding up a stack of papers.

Dean nodded and then looked at Adam. "Give us a minute."

Adam nodded, and then when Dean walked out, he looked down at me. "Can you tell me anything about Dad?"