6 Yellow Fever: Part 1

"Bye, Nate." I hung up the phone and noticed Dean staring at me in the rear-view mirror.

"You were on the phone for a while," Dean said.

I nodded. "Yup."

"What was that about?" Dean asked as he continued to watch me in the mirror.

"Dean..." Sam quietly warned.

Dean looked at Sam. "What? I'm just curious."

"It's none of your business," Sam said.

I saw an argument coming on, so I lowered myself in the seat, hoping they would forget that I had caused it.

"It is my business," Dean said.

"How?" Sam asked, looking slightly miffed.

Dean locked eyes with me. "Oh no, no, don't slink down back there. You're not getting out of this that easy."

Sam sighed loudly.

"Well, I don't really know what you wanna know," I said, "'Cause you literally heard everything that I said."

Dean was silent for a moment, looking slightly annoyed. "Just didn't know you guys talk."

I nodded and shrugged. "Yeah, while you and Sam were gone, I talked to him pretty much every single day."

Dean raised his eyebrows and thought for a second, he looked as if he wanted to say something, but eventually chose not to.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

October 13th - October 16th, 2008

After Sam discovered an obit of a forty-four-year-old marathon runner, named Frank, who died of a heart attack, we made our way to a small town and set up shop in a motel room. This caught his attention because days before, two other men around the same age died of heart attacks in the same town.

Sam and Dean left me at the motel to speak to the coroner and the sheriff.

A couple hours later, Dean came back alone and entered the room, looking around suspicious and nervous.

I looked up from my book and furrowed my brow. "Are you okay? Where's Sam?"

"He's fine, he went to look around Frank's house. I actually came to get you," Dean said, nervously.

"For what?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I don't know, this place gives me the creeps, didn't really want you here by yourself."

"Uh, thanks? I'm okay, though." I snickered.

"Come on seriously." Dean gestured for me to get out of bed.

I sat up and put my book on the nightstand. "Are you sure you're okay?" I asked as I walked over to grab my coat from him.

Dean nodded. "Yeah." He opened the door and stepped out onto the balcony. "Just be careful coming down the stairs, okay?"

I closed the door behind us and turned to walk down the stairs, but Dean was standing a few steps below, staring up at me until I answered.

"Oh, you were serious?" I asked.

Dean nodded. "I wouldn't joke about something like that. Just be careful."

I furrowed my brow. "Uh, okay? Are one of the steps loose or something?" I asked as I followed him down the stairs at a painfully slow pace.

"No, but there are at least forty steps, you could trip on any of them and end up in a hospital," Dean said as we finally reached the ground.

I stared at Dean for a moment, extremely confused, but still assuming he was playing a weird joke on me. "Um, all right. Tell me about what you guys found out today then."