10 Family Remains: Part 3

About twenty minutes later, we heard a knock on the door.

Kate and Susan jumped, gasped, and clung to each other. I put my finger up to my mouth and listened.

Knock! Knock!

"Maddi, it's Sam."

I stood up. "Help me move the table."

Susan and Kate stood up to help me, and then we opened the door. Sam and Brian walked in and moved the table back.

"Did you find Danny?" Susan asked nervously.

Brian shook his head. "No, but we will."

"Where's Dean?" I asked.

"He's in the house with Ted," Sam said.

Brian shook his head. "Look, why are we just standing here? Let's go in. Let's check the house."

"We have to wait for those guys to get back, okay?" Sam asked.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"It's me," Dean said.

Sam looked at Brian. "Help me out."

When he and Brian finished moving the table, Dean walked in by himself.

"Did you get Danny?" Susan asked.

Dean shook his head and sighed. "No."

"No?" Susan asked, "Well, where's Ted?"

"He's outside," Dean said.

"Well, why doesn't he come inside?" Susan asked.

"Because I had to carry him out. I'm sorry," Dean said, honestly.

My heart sank, feeling sorry for them.

"You're— What does that mean?" Susan asked nervously, "What does that mean, you're sorry?"

"Are you saying that he's dead?" Brian asked.

Susan shook her head frantically. "No. No, he's not saying that he's dead." She looked at Dean. "You're not saying that, are you?"

Dean sighed. "We were in the walls, and she attacked."

Susan covered her mouth and started to cry. "Oh my god."

Dean shook his head. "And I couldn't get to him in time."

"Uncle Ted is dead?" Kate cried.

Dean shook his head and looked down, ashamed. "I shouldn't have left him alone." He looked up at Brian, who was now holding Susan. "I'm very sorry." He looked down again and walked out.

I looked up at Sam and then followed Dean out, closing the door behind me. "Dean?"

"Go back inside, I'm fine," he said as he leaned against the shed.

I sighed. "It's not your fault." I leaned up against the shed next to him.

Dean shook his head. "I'm not talking about this, Maddison."

I stood up and walked in front of him. "Look, all I'm saying is... you have to stop blaming yourself for everything that goes wrong." He didn't look at me, so I sighed and walked back into the shed.

I closed the door behind me, then I walked over to Sam, who was leaning against the wall reading a notebook. Brian was trying to comfort Susan while she sat on the floor, crying about Ted and Danny.

"So?" Sam asked as I joined him.

I shrugged. "Dean's being Dean."

Sam nodded and went back to reading.