20 Lucifer Rising: Part 6

About an hour later, Ruby pulled over on the side of the road, and it was time for Sam to decide. We were two miles from St. Mary's Convent, which meant it was now or never, and Ruby was not letting up.

Sam paced by the trunk, listening to Cindy pleading to be let go.

"Sam, it's time. Are we doing this or not?" Ruby asked.

"Give me a minute to think," Sam snapped.

Ruby sighed. "Sam—"

"Give me a damn minute, Ruby!" Sam shouted.

Ruby shrugged. "Better think fast."

Sam ripped his phone out of his pocket, clicked a button, and then put it to his ear. At first, I thought he was calling someone, but then I realized he was listening to Dean's voicemail. I crossed my fingers, hoping that whatever Dean said was good because I knew whatever he said would make Sam's decision for him.

His jaw tightened, and tears formed in his eyes. He slowly lowered the phone and clicked it off. I could tell he was fuming. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ruby smirking.

"Do it," Sam said coldly.

"Thank god," Ruby said and walked over to the trunk, pulling Cindy out and holding her for Sam.

"No!" Cindy screamed.

I stepped in front of Cindy, in between her and Sam. "Okay, no. You have to stop this, Sam, this is crazy."

Sam grabbed me and pushed me out of the way.

"Sam, this isn't you. Can't you see that Dean's, right?! Ruby's just a manipulative bitch!" I yelled and grabbed his arm. "We care about you. We do. Not her. She's messing with your head."

Sam turned to me, fury in his eyes. "If Dean cared?! If Dean trusted me?! Would he say this?!" he shouted and handed me his phone to listen to the voicemail.

I clicked play and put it to my ear.

"Hey, it's me. Uh..." Dean cleared his throat. "Look, I'll just get right to it. I'm still pissed... and I owe you a serious beatdown. But... I shouldn't have said what I said. Ya know, I'm not Dad. We're brothers. Ya know, we're family. And, uh... no matter how bad it gets, that doesn't change." His voice cracked. "Sammy, I'm sorry."

I pulled the phone away from my ear and handed it to Sam, confused and hurt that that message made him choose to kill an innocent person.

I shook my head. "I don't get it, Sam."

"Me, either." He turned to Cindy and slit her throat.

I jumped back and gasped. I felt like I was going to lose my lunch from disgust and disappointment in my brother. He leaned down and started drinking her blood, and as he did, Ruby smirked at me, like she had won or something.

I stormed back to the car, got in, and quickly called Dean.

"Maddi? Where are you?" Dean asked. "I know where Sam's going, I'm on my way."

"Good, 'cause I'm with him." I sniffled. "You need to get here, Dean. He listened to your voicemail and killed an innocent woman right after."

"What?" Dean asked in shock.

I shook my head. "I don't know, I think Ruby did something. She's been in his head this whole time, she wants you and me as far away from him as possible, but I'm not going anywhere. She'd have to kill me first."

"No," Dean said, "You promise me something if it gets that bad... you run. I don't care where. Just run, and I will find you."

"I can't promise that, Dean," I said as I spotted Ruby and Sam walking back to the car, leaving Cindy's body on the side of the road. "They're coming, I've gotta go. I'm sorry. I— I love you." I sighed and clicked the phone off and tucked it into my jacket as they climbed in.