8 Wishful Thinking: Part 2

We pulled up to her house and climbed out of the Impala.

"What's this, like a Harry and the Henderson's deal?" Dean asked, as we walked up to the front door and knocked on it.

A moment later, the little girl answered the door. "Hello?"

"Hello! Um, could we— Ya know what? Are your parents home?" Sam asked with a smile.

The little girl shook her head. "Nope."

Sam raised his eyebrows. "No?"

Dean shook his head. "No? Um... have you seen a really, really furry—"

"Is he in trouble?" the girl asked, looking upset.

"No." Sam chuckled. "No, no, no. Not at all. We just—"

"We wanted to check on him. Make sure he was okay," I said after seeing my brothers struggle.

Dean nodded. "Exactly."

"He's my teddy bear. I think he's sick." The girl looked down sadly.

"Wow. Uh... amazing. 'Cause you know what?" Dean asked. "We... are, uh... teddy bear doctors."

"Really? Can you please take a look at him?" the girl asked excitedly.

Sam nodded. "Sure."

Dean nodded in agreement. "Sure. Yeah."

We followed the little girl into her house and up the stairs. "He's in my bedroom. He's pretty grumpy." She knocked on her door. "Teddy? There's some nice doctors here to see you." She opened the door to reveal a living, giant, drunk teddy bear watching television.

"Close the friggin' door!" the teddy bear slurred.

I raised my eyebrows in disbelief of what I just saw.

The girl closed the door sadly. "See what I mean?"

The three of us looked at each other, confusion all over our faces.

The girl sighed. "All I ever wanted was a teddy, which was big, real, and talked. But now he's sad all the time... not 'ouch' sad, but ouch-in-the-head sad. He says weird stuff, and smells like the bus."

Dean nodded, taking everything in. "Um, little girl—"

"What's your name?" I asked her.

"Audrey!" she yelled.

Dean nodded. "Audrey. How exactly did your teddy become real?"

Audrey shrugged. "I wished for it."

"You wished for it?" Sam asked.

Audrey nodded. "At the wishing well."

Dean pushed the bedroom door open so we could see the teddy bear sitting on the bed, drinking whiskey, and watching the news.

"Look at this." The teddy bear chuckled sadly. "You believe this crap?"

Dean shook his head. "Not really."

"It is a terrible world. Why am I here?!" The bear cried.

"For tea parties!" Audrey yelled.

"Tea parties? Is that all there is?" the bear asked and started crying into his paws.

Dean shut the door again.

Sam looked down at Audrey. "Audrey, give us a second, okay?"

Audrey nodded, and we walked down the hall a little ways with Sam.

"Okay. Are we— Should we— Uh, are we gonna kill this teddy bear?" Sam asked us.

I shrugged, feeling that it would almost be merciful to kill the bear.

"How? Do we shoot it? Burn it?" Dean asked.

Sam shrugged. "I don't know. Both?"

"How do we even know that's gonna work? I don't want some giant, flaming, pissed off teddy on our hands," Dean said.

Sam nodded. "Yeah. Besides, I get the feeling that the bear isn't really the, you know, core problem here." He turned back to Audrey. "Audrey. Where are your parents?"

Audrey shrugged. "My mom wished they were in Bali, so I think they're in Bali."

Sam nodded. "Okay, well... I'm really sorry to have to break this to you, but... your bear is sick. Yeah, he's— he's got—"

"Lollipop disease." I shrugged.

Sam nodded. "Lollipop disease."

"It's not uncommon for a bear his size. But see, it's— it's really contagious," Dean said.

"Yeah, so, is there— is there someone, maybe a grown-up, that you can stay with while we treat him?" Sam asked.

"Mrs. Hurley lives down the street," Audrey said.

Dean nodded. "Perfect."

"Good, yeah, good. Uh, we'd like you to stay there for a few days, okay?" Sam asked.

Audrey nodded. "Okay."

"Oh, and Audrey? Where is this wishing well?" Dean asked.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *