14 Death Takes a Holiday: Part 2

The three of us went to the cemetery where Cole was buried and set up shop in front of a gravestone that was engraved with, Beloved Son Cole Griffith 1997 – 2009 Forever In Our Memories. Sam spread a cloth with a pentacle drawn on it over the grave, and I set a candle on each point of the pentacle. Then he placed a small bundle of sticks in the center.

Dean was sitting on another gravestone as he flipped through Dad's journal. "You sure this is gonna work?"

Sam looked up and shook his head. "No. But if his spirit's around, this should smoke him out," he said and then poured a mixture into a bowl.

Dean sighed and closed Dad's journal.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

Dean shrugged. "This job is jacked."

Sam furrowed his brow. "How so?"

"You want me to gank a monster or torch a corpse, hey, let's light it up, right? But this?" Dean asked and shook his head. "If we fix whatever this is, people are gonna start dropping dead. Good people."

Sam stood up. "Look, I don't want them to die, either, Dean, but there's a natural order."

Dean scoffed. "You're kidding, right?"

"What?" Sam asked.

Dean shook his head. "You don't see the irony in that? I mean, you and me, we're like the poster boys of the unnatural order. All we do is ditch death."

Sam nodded. "Yeah, but the normal rules don't really apply to us, do they?"

I furrowed my brow at him. "This job doesn't give us special privileges, Sam. We aren't better than anyone else."

Sam shook his head. "I'm not saying that. I'm infected with demon blood. Azazel had some special plan for you. Dean's been to Hell."

Dean looked away and shook his head.

Sam sighed. "Look, I know you want to think of yourself as Joe the Plumber, Dean, but you're not. None of us are. The sooner you accept that, the better off you're gonna be."

I really wasn't enjoying how Sam was acting. It was like he thought he was more important than other people. He never acted like that. We saved people all the time, but he always acted humble. Maybe Sam had been lying, and what the siren did just exposed the truth of how he was actually feeling about Dean and me.

Dean looked up at the sky, annoyed. "Ah, Joe the Plumber was a douche."

"You gonna help me finish this?" Sam asked.

Dean stood up and walked over.

"Hey!" a man yelled from behind us.

We turned around to see a man standing there, shining a flashlight at us. "What are you doing here?"

"Uh..." Sam glanced at Dean and then back at the man. "Just take it easy."

"What the hell is this?" the man asked as he shined his flashlight over our set up.

"Okay, this— this— this is not what it looks like." Dean laughed nervously.

"Really?" the man asked. "'Cause it looks like devil worship."

"What? No!" Dean shouted. "No, this is not devil worship. This— This is— This— This is, uh—" Dean sighed and gave up. "I don't have a good answer."

"We're leaving," Sam said.

"You're not going anywhere," the man said menacingly and stepped forward. "Ever again. Sam." He looked over at Dean, and his eyes went white.