5 Monster Movie: Part 1

October 3rd - October 6th, 2008

As we passed the Welcome to Pennsylvania sign, I had to do a quick double-take. With a flash of lightning, I thought that the sign had said, Welcome to Transylvania. I shook the thought off and figured I was just caught up in the old-school horror movies I had been watching with Sam lately.

"The radio around here sucks," Dean said, referring to the old-school suspenseful horror music we had been dealing with for the past hour. He clicked off the radio and glanced over at Sam. "Come on, man. Jobs don't get much sweeter than this, ya know? Dead vic with a gnawed-on neck, body drained of blood, and a witness who swears up and down that it was a vampire."

Sam nodded. "No, I— I agree. It's a hell of a case."

Dean sighed. "A little more gusto, please."

"It's just... the world is coming to an end. Things are a little complicated, ya know?" Sam asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, well, we can't save the world, not today anyway. But what we can do is chop off some vamps' heads. Come on, man, it's like the good old days, an honest-to-goodness monster hunt. It's about time the Winchesters got back to tackling a straightforward, black, and white case."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Since the town was celebrating Oktoberfest and Sam and Dean were acting as FBI agents, I, of course, got stuck at the motel. So, I decided to eat some popcorn and re-watch some of the movies I watched with Sam. I started with Dracula and then got through Frankenstein and The Wolf Man before Sam returned to the motel.

I nodded at him but left the movie playing because it had still been a little awkward to hang out with Sam alone. "Where's Dean?"

He plopped down next to me on the couch. "Oh, he met a girl."

I nodded and went back to watching the movie.

"Uh, here." Sam held up a huge soft pretzel. "Got this for you."

I smiled at him and grabbed it, taking a bite out of it. "Thanks."

Sam sighed and cleared his throat. "So, The Wolf Man, huh?"

I shrugged without taking my eyes off the screen. "Yeah."

Sam got up and walked over to his bed. He grabbed some clothes out of his bag and walked into the bathroom.

A few minutes later, he walked back out and set his suit down on the bed.

He walked over and sat next to me on the couch again. "So—"

I looked over at him. "Did you find out anything interesting?"

Sam raised his eyebrows. "Oh, yeah, uh... we talked to this guy Ed Brewer. He said he was walking through a park late at night and saw a man biting the victim's neck. He said it was a vampire."

"Really?" I asked.

Sam nodded. "Yeah, but when we talked to the coroner earlier, we saw the body. She had two holes in her neck."

I furrowed my brow. "So, not a vampire then."

Sam shook his head. "No, but Ed was convinced, he said the guy had fangs, slicked back black hair, a cape, and a medallion."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Like Dracula?" I laughed. "Sorry, I know the guy killed someone, but seriously?"

Sam nodded. "He said the guy even had an accent and raised his cape to his face when he said, 'stay away, mortal! The night is mine!'"