4 Metamorphosis: Part 3

We left Jack's and drove back to the motel, but when we opened the door, Travis was sitting at our table, with a beer in hand, waiting for us. We all smiled at him as Dean closed the door behind us.

"Travis," Dean said happily. "See, Sam. Told you we should have hid the beer."

Travis stood up with a smirk and walked toward us. "Smartass. Get over here." He laughed and pulled Dean into a quick hug. "Ah, good to see you."

"You too." Dean lightly smacked Travis's back.

Travis looked up at Sam and gave him a hug as well. "Good to see you."

"You too, Travis." Sam smiled.

Travis looked down at me. "And you." He pulled me into a hug. "I barely recognize you." He laughed and then let go. "Last time I saw you, you were about three feet tall."

Dean laughed. "Yeah, well, she hasn't really grown much since then."

I glared at him. "Hey."

Dean smirked.

Travis looked back up at Sam and smacked his shoulder. "Man, you got tall, kid." He laughed. "How long has it been?"

Sam thought for a second. "Uh, gotta be ten years."

"You still a— oh, what was it..." Travis thought for a moment. "A mathlete?"

Sam scoffed a little. "No."

Dean nodded. "Yup sure is."

"Been too long. I mean, look at you. Grown-up. John would have been damn proud of you. Sticking together like this." Travis smiled proudly.

"Yeah. Yeah, we're as thick as thieves," Dean said, "Nothing more important than family."

I looked up and noticed that Sam's smile had faded.

Travis walked over to the table and sat down. "Sorry, I'm late for the dance."

The three of us sat down on the bed across from him.

"Thanks for helping out an old man. I'm a little, uh, shorthanded." Travis held up his right arm, which had a cast on it. "So, you track down Montgomery?"

Sam nodded. "Yeah, we found him at his home."

"And?" Travis asked.

"Well, he had a hell of a case of the munchies, topped off with a burger he forgot to cook," Dean explained.

Travis nodded. "That's him all right."

"What's him?" Dean asked.

"Kids, we got a rugaru on our hands," Travis said.

"A rugaru?" Dean asked, looking over at Sam. "Is that made-up?" He looked back at Travis before Sam could answer. "That sounds made-up."

"They're mean, nasty little suckers. Rotted teeth, wormy skin, the works," Travis explained.

Dean shook his head. "Well, that ain't this guy. I mean, he was wearing a cell phone on his belt."

Travis sighed. "He'll turn ugly soon enough. They start out human, for all intents and purposes."

"So, what?" Sam asked, "They go through some kind of metamorphosis?"

Travis nodded. "Yup, like a maggot turning into a bull fly. But most of all, they're hungry."

"Hungry for what?" Dean asked.

"At first, for everything, but then... for long pig," Travis said ominously.