17 The Monster at the End of This Book: Part 1

April 7th - April 9th, 2009

Sam and Dean were out on a case, they went to talk to some guy who worked at a comic bookstore that knew our vic. However, they ended up coming back completely unconcerned with the case and now totally engulfed in a pile of books they had strewn on the beds. The covers had drawings of an Impala and people who looked very much like, Dean, Sam, and me.

I picked up one that was marked as the first book in the series. "Supernatural by Carver Edlund?" I flipped it open and started reading the first paragraph. "'Along a lonely California highway, a mysterious woman in white lures men to their deaths.'" I shook my head. "I don't get it. This is about the woman in white a few years back. This couldn't really be about us, right?"

Dean looked up from the book he was reading and shook his head. "I don't know, but this is friggin' insane. How's this guy know all this stuff?"

Sam shrugged from behind his laptop. "You got me."

Dean shook his head. "Everything is in here. I mean everything. From the racist truck to— to me having sex. I'm full-frontal in here." He got up and crossed the room to Sam, snatching the book I was reading out of my hands as he walked by. "How come we haven't heard of them before?"

Sam shrugged. "They're pretty obscure. I mean, almost zero circulation. Uh, started in '05. The publisher put out a couple dozen before going bankrupt. And, uh, the last one... 'No Rest For The Wicked?'" He turned his laptop toward Dean and me. "Ends with you going to Hell."

Dean nodded. "I reiterate. Friggin' insane." He scrolled through the website. "Check it out. There's actually fans. There's not many of them, but still. Did you read this?"

Sam nodded. "Yeah."

Dean shrugged. "Although, for fans, they sure do complain a lot. Listen to this... Simpatico says 'the demon storyline is trite, clichéd, and overall craptastic.' Yeah, well, screw you, Simpatico. We lived it."

Sam nodded. "Yeah. Well, keep on reading. It gets better."

"There are 'Sam girls,' 'Dean girls,' and 'Maddi girls'... and... what's a 'slash fan'?" Dean asked.

"As in... Sam-slash-Dean," Sam said uncomfortably, "Some people even write some Maddi slash-fics where she's older."

I shook my head. "What does that mean?"

Sam frowned. "Like us... together."

"Like, together, together?" Dean asked.

Sam cringed. "Yeah."

I shook my head. "But we're family..."

Sam shrugged. "Doesn't seem to matter."

"Oh, come on. That— That's just sick." Dean shut the laptop in disgust. "We got to find this Carver Edlund."

Sam nodded. "Yeah, that might not be so easy."

"Why not?" Dean asked.

Sam shook his head. "No tax records, no known address. Looks like Carver Edlund is a pen name."

Dean shrugged. "Somebody's gotta know who he is."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We decided to speak to the publisher, the boys were acting as journalists, and I was just tagging along. The publisher seemed somewhat skeptical and a little bit nervous.

"So, you published the Supernatural books?" Sam asked.

She nodded. "Yup. Yeah. Gosh. These books..." She walked over to a bookshelf and brushed her hands along the whole collection of books. "Ya know, they never really got the attention they deserved. All anybody wants to read anymore is that romance crap. Ya know... Doctor Sexy, MD?" She scoffed. "Please." She shrugged. "I mean honestly, at first, I wasn't sure how it would do with the little sister. You know 'cause she can be so needy."