17 The Monster at the End of This Book: Part 4

Dean and I pulled up to The Toreador Motel, but when I stepped out, I looked up at the sign and realized all the letters were no longer lit up except for R, E, and D.

"Dean, look," I said and pointed up to the sign.

He shook his head and put his hand on my back. "Hurry."

We ran into our room and immediately grabbed our bags.

"Come on. We're getting out of here," Dean said.

Sam shook his head and stood up. "What? Where?"

"Anywhere, okay? Out of this motel, out of this town. I don't care if we got to swim, we are getting out." Dean looked around, confused. "Dude, where are all the hex bags?"

I looked and realized they were all gone.

"I burned them," Sam said.

Dean furrowed his brow. "You what?"

Sam sighed. "Look, if Lilith is coming, which is a big if—"

Dean shook his head. "No, no, no. It's more than an if. Chuck is not a psychic. He's a prophet."

"What?" Sam asked.

"Cass showed up, and apparently Chuck is writing the gospel of us," Dean explained.

Sam shrugged. "Okay."

Dean nodded. "Okay. Let's get the hell out of here."

"No," Sam said firmly.

Dean shook his head. "Lilith is gonna slaughter you."

Sam shrugged. "Maybe she will. Maybe she won't."

"So, what? You think you can take her?" Dean asked, getting progressively angrier.

Sam nodded. "Only one way to find out, Dean. And I say bring her on."

Dean shook his head. "Sam—"

"You think I'll do it, don't you?" Sam asked. "You think I'll go dark-side."

"Yes!" Dean shouted. "Okay? Yes. The way you've been acting lately? The things you've been doing?"

Sam looked at him, startled.

Dean nodded. "Oh, I know. How you ripped Alastair apart like it was nothing... like you were swatting a fly. Cass told me, okay?"

I looked at Dean in shock. I didn't realize that he knew about that. I felt guilty that I didn't tell him myself, but I didn't want to rat Sam out either. Maybe I was holding on to the false hope that everything with Sam would end up being okay.

"What else did he tell you?" Sam snapped.

Dean shrugged. "Nothing I don't already know. That you've been using your psychic crap, and you've been getting stronger. We just don't know why, and we don't know how."

Sam shook his head. "It's not what you think."

"Then what is it, Sam?" Dean asked and then shrugged. "'Cause I'm at a total loss." He grabbed his bag and then gestured for me to grab mine. I followed him to the door, and then he stopped and turned to Sam. "Are you coming with us or not?"

Sam shook his head. "No."

Dean turned back to the door, threw his bag on a chair, and then stormed out.

"So, did Cass really tell him, or did you?" Sam asked.

I turned to him angrily. "What?"

"I know you saw what happened with Alastair. I'm really supposed to believe that you didn't say anything to him?" Sam asked.