14 Death Takes a Holiday: Part 4

We followed Cole out of his room and down to the dining room. The three of us sat at the table while Cole stood in the doorway and watched his mom pour herself a glass of vodka.

Cole sighed. "I had an asthma attack... I was outside all morning." He turned to us. "They tell you to be careful when it's cold."

"Cold air can cause an asthma attack?" Dean asked.

Cole nodded and shrugged. "But then I was in my room. It happened so fast. I called out for my mom, but nothing came out. Everything started spinning, and then I was just standing there, looking down at my body." He leaned on the table.

"And that's when you saw the man?" Sam asked.

Cole nodded. "Creepy old guy in a black suit. He wanted me to go with him, but..." He looked over his shoulder at his mom. "I didn't want to go."

"Reaper," Sam said.

Dean nodded.

"How'd you get rid of him?" Sam asked.

Cole shook his head. "I didn't. The black smoke did."

"Black smoke?" Dean asked.

Cole nodded. "It was everywhere. I hid in the closet, and when I came out, it was gone, and so was he."

Dean leaned forward. "Do you know where the smoke went?"

Cole shook his head. "No. But I know where it is."

Suddenly, the lights started flickering, and everyone, including Mrs. Griffith, looked around nervously.

"They're back," Cole said, ominously.

"Who?" Dean asked.

Cole flickered and vanished. Then a blast of wind hit us, and when we looked in the direction it was coming from, something white and human-shaped flew up the stairs.

"Another reaper," Sam said.

The three of us got up and ran toward the stairs.

"Hey! Hey! Wait! We need to talk to you!" Dean yelled.

When we reached the bottom of the stairs, a beautiful woman with dark brunette hair descended them toward us.

"Dean," she said.

Sam and I looked at Dean, confused, and then I realized he was also very confused.

"Do I know you?" Dean asked.

"We go way back," she said and then walked by us into the kitchen. The three of us followed, and then she turned around. "You don't remember me?"

Dean chuckled. "Honestly, if I had a nickel for every time I heard a girl say that— You're gonna have to freshen my memory."

She stepped forward, reached up, and pulled Dean down into a kiss.

When she pulled away, a look of realization crossed Dean's face. "Tessa."

She smiled and nodded. "That's one of my names, yeah."

"So, you do know her," Sam said.

Dean nodded. "From the hospital after the accident."

"With Dad?" I asked.

Dean nodded.

"So, this is the reaper that came after you?" Sam asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah."

Tessa looked at Sam. "Well, this was fun." Then she looked at me. "Now if you'll excuse me..." she said and then started walking back toward the stairs.