※53※

In the Morning

The rays of sunlight lit up the room. The dawn chorus of melodic birdsong drifted in.

Reeha woke up finding herself safe in his arms. Looking up, she was met with her husband's sleeping form. The sun rays doing wonders to his handsome face. His messy up hair falling over his eyes. 

Reeha was about to get out of his arms when Ayyan tightened his hold on her and mumbled against her hair.
"Wait! Don't pull away. Not yet."

"Ayyan! I need to go down and help Mumma before she comes and taunts me for being lazy."

"Can't we just cuddle and pretend we have nothing to do?"

"Mister, there is a fine line in between cuddling and holding someone down so that they can't go away."

Looking at her, lazily Ayyan said in his hoarse voice.
"You're beautiful, you know that?"

"Really? I think someone called me a witch."
Reeha recalled the time Ayyan called her witch because of her morning messy hair.

"That someone must be blind then."
Ayyan played along.

"Yeah. He sure is."
Reeha mocked.

"Thanks, Reeha."
Suddenly Ayyan said seriously.

"For what?"
Confusedly, Reeha asked.

"Thanks for being safe. For not letting Zafar harm you."

"You know when Zafar locked me up what I thought?"

Reeha started opening up. It was the first time she was talking about the incident.

"I thought, I'm dying. Is this what feels like dying? I was so scared. I was really…"

She shuddered thinking about that time.

"When I fell in front of your car and the moment I saw you running towards me, I knew I was safe. I was relieved. When I woke up in the hospital, the first person I wanted to see was you, Ayyan. I wanted to hug you… wanted you to assure me that I was fine. But you… you didn't even come in front of me. Not even for once."

"I'm sorry. Sorry for not being there with you when you needed me the most."

"Sorry doesn't fix everything."

"I know. But still, I want to say sorry."
Taking her soft hands in his large callous ones, Ayyan said regretfully. Then out of blue, he added,
"I'm not the person who you want in your life."

"What? Where did that come from?" 

"I just know. You deserve someone better."

"No. There isn't anyone better for me than you."

"But…"

"No ifs and buts."
Sitting on the bed Reeha said angrily,
"I have seen you behaving weirdly from the past few days. Always saying that I deserve someone else. Who are you to decide it? What do you think by saying these ridiculous things you'll be able to leave me? Let me warn you mister I'm not leaving you, not now nor in the future. Keep that in the thick head of yours."

Ayyan also sat on the bed.
"Why will I leave you? I was just… never mind. Why are you getting so worked up?"

"I'm not. And don't ever say it again."

"Ok. Fine. Come here."
Pulling her towards him, he said,
"I'm sorry. Don't be angry at me."

"I am angry at myself because of not staying angry at you for a long time. And I hate you for that."
Reeha mumbled putting her head on his chest.