48

Jen

Two weeks of staying away from the world have done wonders for me. Initially, I was repelled by the idea of staying with Rick, but things are changing now. Making meals, walking near the lake, shopping for groceries and doing bonfires outside of the house became our routines. These chores soothe me. His presence became bearable and with the passing day, I am learning something new about him. He would randomly talk about anything, I could tell there's more depth in it.

This version of Rick is different, he is a nature lover, fantastic cook, a boxing fighter, knows to show empathy, keen observer, good listener... what am I doing? If I will continue this, the list won't end. My heart leaps as I realized how I start adoring this side of him. And it pains me to know another side of him, Rick has been carrying lots of emotional burdens most of his life, he carved for motherly affection and even after everything, the relationship with his mother has not improved, he has lost his one true friend who has been his rock in his lowest, Daniel. I never thought Daniel would part his way from Rick. This has been very hurtful for Rick. He is as lonely as me.

Sometimes, we both lose our shits and hate to see each other's faces. This is not easy to forget all the bitterness. But, at the very next moment, we let go of the differences with cordial small talks. We both have learned to communicate with time, maybe because we don't have any option as we are stuck together in this big house. My nights are not as terrifying as before, yes, I am still having nightmares, but it's becoming less harmful. It feels someone ease my suffering by cooing me in the nights.

"Come back to earth, Jen" the teasing voice of Rick startles me.

"What?"

"You zoned out on me and I don't like it" Kniting his eyebrow, he shows his dislike.

"I am ..just..thinking" Rick's eyes are staring me with concern.

"Everything is ok, why are you stuttering?" oh, I don't even know.

"Actually... its nothing" What to answer him, that I was thinking about him, strange, isn't it?

"Can I come with you for a match?" before he could ask another question, I bombard him with my request.

"No, that place is not for you" he straightly refused.

"Why?" I am being adamant about going to see his match.

"It's all about men, not a place for women"

"But Megan would be there, right?" I interject hastily.

"her father owns that club and she is working there" oh, a fair reason but I want to explore this sight of Rick.

"Rick, I want to watch your fight, please" I urge him with hopeful eyes. Rick knows it takes too much for me to request him.

"Jen, I don't know" he seems defeated.

"We will be going" I announced with excitement, ending the further discussion.

Come Saturday night, Rick looks uncertain.

"I am thinking to cancel my match, we can still go out for dinner" He suggested, in response, I narrowed my eyes at him. We had this discussion numerous times, yet he tried once again.

"We are going, I will be ready in few minutes" with that I walked to my room, looking for an appropriate dress, what should I wear for this event? I chose regular jeans and a top. Like always, I tied my hair in a tight ponytail, a little mascara and lip gloss.

Rick scrutinizes me from head to toe, once he is satisfied with my appearance, he nods his head in approval.

"You should wear your cardigan or jacket over your top, its cold outside"