Chapter 5

*****

*****

I stand next to Steve as he knocks on the unfamiliar house. I am too shaken from what happened to care that we're at a stranger's home. I just need a shower and something to eat. 

"Hey, man," A familiar voice says, causing me to look up and see that it's Sam's house we're at. He looks between us and takes in how roughed up we look. I can only imagine what he's thinking. 

"I'm sorry about this," Steve begins with the apology. "We need a place to lay low."

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us," I add. 

He continues to look between us before opening his door more. "Not everyone."

~~~~~

I finish brushing my hair with the comb Sam has allowed me to borrow in his bathroom. I place it down and dig into my jacket pocket, surprised to still find my infamous red lipstick inside of it instead of chapstick. I stare at it for a few seconds before removing the cap and bringing it to my lips. My hands shake as I apply it. 

"You okay?" I nearly jump as Steve appears out of nowhere, leaning against the wall. 

"Yeah," I close and put away the lipstick. I look at myself in the mirror. "You know, I haven't worn red since I left the Red Room. It was another small thing I thought leaving behind would help me get over my past."

"I don't think it's as simple as that," He admits and then walks up closer to me. "But if it's worth anything. Red suits you."

"Thanks," I chuckle. But I soon become serious again, walking into the bedroom and sitting on the bed. 

"Talk to me," Steve says, sitting across from me. 

I take a deep breath, looking into his eyes and realizing that I can and do trust him. "My past was dark. I did terrible things that I can't take back. It was like I had no humanity, taking orders monotonously. But there was one person who did bring out the better side of me as I did for him. It wasn't easy with our circumstances and it now belongs in the past. I just don't think I'll ever be able to escape my past."

"None of us can," Steve reaches forward and takes my hand. "There's nothing we can do about it. But we can move on and learn from our past."

I smile softly, feeling the tears threatening to escape. I don't let them as Steve smiles too. It then becomes one of those moments that you're acting without really thinking. You know exactly what you're doing and it's drawing you toward it. Drawing you toward him. 

I lean slowly forward and it takes him a second to follow my lead. We inch agonizingly closer to each other. We keep our hands interlocked as our mouths become inches apart. I feel his hot breath on mine but the kiss never comes. 

"I made breakfast," We both pull away before Sam enters the room. Steve scratches the back of his head as I avert my eyes from the two men. "If you guys eat that sort of thing."