Chapter 44

*****

*****

I lift up the crate on the boat in Delacroix, Louisiana, the hometown of Sam and his sister, Sarah. I place it down before facing Sam and a couple of men who were wondering how they were gonna get it off of the truck. 

"You're welcome," I say before picking up the briefcase that I brought. "Just dropping this off. You can sign for it and I'll go," I look around. "Where's Anastasia?"

"She left for Paris before I left for here," Sam answers, and I try to hide my disappointment. 

"Okay," I nod, wishing she hadn't left so suddenly. "I called in a favor from the Wakandans."

Before he can open it, a hissing sound grabs our attention. We turn our heads to see his sister staring at the pipes where the hissing is coming from. We begin walking toward it to fix it but someone beats us to it. I stop and stare as Anastasia grabs a wrench and fixes it. She tosses it to the side and turns around. 

"Hello, boys," She smirks and we walk up to her. 

"I thought you left," Sam says, stepping onto the boat before me. 

"I was planning on it," She sighs. "But seconds after takeoff I realized you two incapable men probably need me."

"How sweet," Sam sarcastically smiles. 

"And I guess," She looks between us. "I would miss this little trio situation we have going on. So," I look around the boat. "Want some help?"

We begin working on the boat, fixing up what needs to be fixed. I use my vibranium arm to get things done as Sam uses his tools. Anastasia uses her powers and strength to lift things up and some tools to get tiny things done. 

I constantly glance in her direction, hoping she hasn't noticed that yet. I can't help it but when the back of my head hits a pole, I know I probably should stop. 

"Ouch," I mutter, rubbing my head. 

Anastasia chuckles, looking at me with the boat's net in her hands. "You should probably quit staring and focus."

"Thanks for the advice," I sarcastically say. 

She turns around and continues what she was doing. I look back at her, not realizing I'm still staring. "James," She says in a tone that she obviously knows I'm still staring. 

"Right," I continue what I was doing too. When we're done, I go to the cooler, grabbing two beers. She watches me closely as I hand one to her. She hesitatingly takes it before I go to sit down. I rip the cap of my bottle off with my vibranium arm, taking a sip immediately. She only stares at me. "Who's staring now?" 

She rolls her eyes, ripping the cap off with her bare hands before taking a seat beside me. She props her left leg on the ledge, facing me slightly. However, she keeps her eyes on the bottle in her hand.