Chapter 40

*****

*****

"I heard what became of Sokovia," Zemo begins as we walk down the sidewalk of a street in Riga, Latvia. "Cannibalized by its neighbors before the land was even cleared of rubble, erased from the map. I don't suppose any of you bothered visiting the memorial?" He looks at them all. "Of course not. Why would you?" They stop in front of a door. "We are here."

"Zemo," He looks at me. "I visited it."

I feel all of the men's eyes on me. James and Sam are more surprised that I went but Zemo only nods before opening the door. 

"I'm gonna go on a walk," James tells us.

"You good?" Sam asks him in concern.

"Yeah," He nods, walking backward. "I'll see you guys in a bit."

"Ty uveren, chto ty v poryadke (Are you sure you're okay)?" I ask him. 

"Ya (I am)," He nods in reassurance. "I'll be back soon."

I watch him walk a little away before following Zemo and Sam into the apartment. I look around at the expensive furniture, noticing everything is open. Sam sits at the bar and my immediate thought is, I need a drink. 

I help myself toward the bar, looking at all of the alcohol. I smile as I spot every ingredient I need to make my favorite drink. I grab the Aperol, dry Prosecco, club soda, and an orange slice. 

"Yes, help yourself," Zemo says sarcastically, coming out of a room. 

"I will, thank you," I ignore his tone, beginning to make the drink. "Sam, you want one?"

"No, thank you," He politely responds. 

"I'll have one," Zemo tells me. 

"Didn't ask you," I retort, finishing up the easy drink. 

Right as I'm done and walking toward the L-shape couch, James enters. From the looks of it, he might need a drink too. 

"Well, the Wakandans are here," James informs us, looking from me on the couch to Sam still sitting in front of the bar. "They want Zemo. Bought us some more time."

"Were you followed?" Sam asks. 

"No," James answers.

"How can you be so sure?" Zemo asks.

"'Cause I know when I'm being followed," Bucky responds irritated.

"It was sweet of you to defend me at least," Zemo tells them.

"No one's defending you," I tell him. "We need you alive so that we can get what we want," I spot James looking at his phone in a way that sends a shiver down my face as Sam and Zemo bicker over the man shooting Nagel dead. "What's wrong?"

"Karli bombed a GRC supply depot," James says. 

"What's the damage?" Sam asks. 

"Eleven injured, three dead," James answers. "They have a list of demands and are promising more attacks if those demands aren't met in full."