Chapter 26

*****

*****

I smile at King T'Challa as we emerge out of the quinjet. I chuckle as Bruce bows at T'Challa, knowing Rhodey is messing around with him. 

"How are you, King T'Challa?" I ask the Black Panther. 

"I'm good, thank you," He smiles and I notice the woman on his right shooting daggers at me through my peripheral vision. "Still a little sore from Germany."

"Sorry about that," I apologize, remembering how I used my electro-shock bracelets to hold him off while Steve and James escaped. 

"All's forgiven," He assures before leading the way toward a big building. "So how big of an assault are we expecting?"

"Uh, sir, I think you should expect quite a big assault," Bruce stammers out. 

"How are we looking?" Nat asks the king. 

"You will have my Kingsguard, the Border Tribe, the Dora Milaje, and..." I stop walking when James pops up in front of us, hair a little longer than the last time I saw him. He looks well. 

"And a semi-stable 100-year-old man," James finishes before hugging Steve. 

"How you been, Buck?" Steve asks his best friend. 

"Uh, not bad, for the end of the world," He chuckles. 

He doesn't even glance in my direction. But what else was I expecting? He doesn't remember who I am. But it doesn't hurt as much as it used to. I've been moving on from my past and I can accept him never truly knowing who I am. I have Steve and Nat and now possibly the Avengers again. I'm fine...I think. 

~~~~~

T'Challa's younger sister, Shuri, uses Wakanda's high-tech technology to examine the Mind Stone in Vision's forehead. I tilt my head to the side, curious about the strange equipment she uses. 

"The structure is polymorphic," Shuri says. 

"Right, we had to attach each neuron non-sequentially," Bruce nods. 

"Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?" She asks as if he should have been able to know that. 

"Because we didn't think of it," Bruce confesses. 

"I'm sure you did your best," I smirk at her remark. I like her personality. 

"Can you do it?" Wanda asks, wanting this to work so Vision doesn't have to die. 

"Yes, but there are more than two trillion neurons here," Shuri responds. "One misalignment could cause a cascade of circuit failures. It will take time."

"How long?" Steve asks. 

"As long as you can give me," Shuri answers. 

We all look at Okoye when an alarm begins to blare and she uses one of her Kimoyo beads to pull up a hologram on the palm of her hand. "Something's entered the atmosphere," She informs us.