Chapter 41

*****

*****

I barge into a random room, the tears still streaming down my face. I stop abruptly at the sight of Sam who only stares at me worried. I try to wipe away the tears but when old ones go away new ones come down. 

"Are you okay?" Sam asks me, placing his hand on my shoulder. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lie, nodding. "I-I'm fine. I-no," I shake my head, not able to hold myself together. He wraps his arms around me, hugging me comfortingly. 

"You don't always have to have your shit together," He tells me after a few seconds of silence. "No one does. It's not how life works. You already went through shit alone after Thanos, you don't have to keep on isolating yourself."

"I just don't want people to see how weak I really am," I say, resting my chin on his shoulder. 

"You're Anastasia Romanoff," Sam says. "The Crimson Widow. The bad bitch who defeated Thanos. You're the strongest being on this planet."

I chuckle softly, already feeling a little bit better. The thing is, I always considered Sam a friend, especially after he helped Steve and me out when we discovered HYDRA had compromised S.H.I.E.L.D. After our battle against Thanos, I knew he would be around James a lot and I needed time to myself before figuring out what I wanted to do since Nat, Steve, and the others were gone. But the further I traveled, the more I was afraid if I had returned, I'd have to face my past. So, I handled everything that had happened to me alone. I never called, never texted, never FaceTimed, never traveled back to New York. But maybe if I had sooner, I could've done this my way. I wouldn't have put this on to myself. I wouldn't be inevitably alone after this mission. 

"Did he tell you?" I finally ask Sam, still in his arms. "Did Steve tell you about James?"

"Uh, yes," Sam admits. "It was right after you told him because he was afraid Bucky being back would affect your guys' relationship. But as soon as you told him you didn't want anyone knowing, he told me to keep my mouth shut. I'm sorry-"

"You don't have to be sorry," I quickly assure, pulling away from the hug. "We all need a best friend to talk to and you were one of Steve's."

"And who's yours?"

"My sister was," I smile sadly to myself. "I guess I don't have one anymore."

"Yes, you do," He says, making me lock eyes with him curiously. "Me."

I pull him into another hug as tears begin to dry on my face. "Thank you, Sam."

"And we can kill Zemo after this is over," He says, making me chuckle. 

"The truth would've come out sooner or later," I say. "But thanks, again."

~~~~~

"Karli Morgenthau is too dangerous for you guys to be pulling this shit," John tells us as he storms down a staircase next to Lemar in Latvia, coming all this way to see us.