Chapter 7

*****

*****

A/N: I just want to clarify the consent age in Russia is 16. Ana is currently 3-4 years younger than Steve and Bucky. She was roughly 10 years younger than Bucky when they first met, but the age gap lessened since he went in and out of cryo-stasis. 

~~~~~

"GSW," Hill runs forward as we enter the isolated building. "She's lost about a pint."

"Maybe two," Sam adds, walking behind me as Steve and Nat walk on either side of me. 

"Let me take her," A man says. 

"She'll want to see him first," Hill says. 

"See who?" I question, looking at Steve and Nat as if they know. 

We follow her further into the building. She opens what appears to be medical wings, allowing us to see none other than Fury alive and awake. I stare baffled at the sight of him. I was there when he "died."

"About damn time," Fury says, looking at us. 

"Sit," I'm pulled out of being flabbergasted when a doctor urges me to sit in a chair beside Fury's bed. 

I do so, letting him examine and fix up my bullet wound as Fury begins to tell us about his faked death. 

"Lacerated spinal column, a cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache," Fury is saying. 

"Don't forget your collapsed lung," The doctor reminds him. 

"Let's not forget that," Fury says. "Otherwise, I'm good."

"They cut you open," Nat looks at him sternly. "Your heart stopped."

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute," He explains. "Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it."

"Why all the secrecy?" Steve asks curiously. "Why not just tell us?"

"Any attempt on the Director's life had to look successful," Hill answers for him. 

"Can't kill you if you're already dead," Fury emphasizes. "Besides," He locks eyes with me. "I wasn't sure who to trust."

~~~~~

Fury stares at the black and white picture of Alexander Pierce as we stand and sit around a circular table. He is just as disappointed as us to find the councilman one of the commanding forces of HYDRA, hiding inside of S.H.I.E.L.D.  

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize," Fury remarks. "He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility," He throws it on the table. "See, it's like this that gives me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch," I tell him. 

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore," Fury says before opening a briefcase and revealing three server blades.