Chapter 43

*****

*****

A/N: The beginning of this chapter is in Ana's POV but the rest is in Bucky's. I thought I would switch it up a bit. 

~~~~~

"Walker," Sam says after we enter the building we followed John into. 

"You guys should see a medic," He tells us, trying to walk past us. "You don't look so good." 

"Stop walking, John," I demand. 

"What?" He turns around to face us. "You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!"

"No, he didn't," I correct. 

"Don't go down that road," James advises. "Believe me, it doesn't end well."

"I'm not like you," John says. 

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay?" Sam begins. "If you explain what happened, they may consider your record. We don't want anyone else to get hurt. John..." I have an uneasy feeling about how he's going to react. "You gotta give me the shield, man."

"Oh," John looks between us. "So that's what this is. You almost got me."

"You made a mistake, John," I say. "We all have."

"You don't wanna do this," John tells us. 

"Yeah, we do," James says. 

Right after that, we lunge forward at the same time John does. James punches him but John blocks it with the shield. John turns and kicks Sam back. I use the distraction to punch him in the face, knocking him back a bit. I know I could easily defeat him but I don't want to accidentally kill him. I don't want to be like him or Karli. 

"Just give me the shield, John," I tell him, reaching my hand out for him to give it to me. 

"Never!" He lunges forward but James grabs him, throwing him away from me. 

James repeatedly punches at John's shield and I use my power for the shield to land in my arms. John shoves James out of the way, attacking me. Sam hits him with his wing but John is able to get him out of his way again. I hit John with the shield, sending him flying back into a pillar and unlike Lemar, since John has clearly taken the serum, he doesn't die on impact. I run up to him but he swiftly rolls out of the way, standing up and grabbing at the shield. James comes up behind him, hitting him from behind but John elbows him so hard he flies back and hits something that electocutes him. 

"James!" I exclaim, forgetting about my tug of war with John and automatically sprinting toward the Winter Soldier. 

I hear Sam attack John as I kneel beside James, his vibranium arm twitching. I turn him over on his back, touching his face softly. 

"James, wake up," I tell him. "You're okay. Come on, please get up," I turn my head to see John pinning Sam on the floor, trying to strangle him. I look and see James beginning to wake up. I stand up angrily.