Chapter 8

*****

*****

"And how was your flight?" Pierce asks me as I disguise as Councilwoman Hawley. 

"Lovely," I smile, urging back the feeling of wanting to punch him in the face for sabotaging S.H.I.E.L.D. "The ride from the airport, less so," I add, the technology I'm using mimics her British accent perfectly. 

"Sadly, S.H.I.E.L.D. can't control everything," Pierce says. 

"Including Captain America," Another Councilman comments. I quickly smirk at the man, knowing that it is really my sister underneath that disguise. 

"This facility is biometrically controlled," Pierce explains, grabbing the briefcase of nametags for all of us to take. "And these will give you unrestricted access."

We follow Pierce to a conference room, looking over D.C. with a magnificent window. I roam my eyes over the room quickly, looking to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. It will be a couple more minutes until Nat and I know Steve, Sam, and Hill were successful. 

"I know the road hasn't exactly been smooth," Pierce begins, the time frame until Insight launches behind him. 2:09:02. "And some of you would have gladly kicked me out of the car along the way," He looks back at Insight's plans. "Finally, we're here and the world should be grateful."

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents," We hear Steve's voice on the PA right as we lift the champagne glasses to our lips. "This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. has been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader."

The Council turns to look at Pierce who appears to be unfazed by what is being said. It's quite funny that he thinks he'll win. 

"The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are HYDRA as well," Steve continues. "They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them."

"You smug son of a bitch," One of the Councilman says angrily at Pierce before his S.T.R.I.K.E. men enter the room. 

"Arrest him," Another man demands the men to arrest Pierce. He steps back as one of the men raises a gun to his head. 

"I guess I've got the floor," Pierce says before we all look out the window to see utter chaos. I notice Sam flying up into the air, getting hot at by machines. Pierce looks back at one of the Councilmen. "Let me ask you a question. What if Pakistan marched into Mumbai tomorrow and you knew that they were going to drag your daughters into a soccer stadium for execution, and you could just stop it, with a flick of the switch. Wouldn't you?" He looks at the rest of us. "Wouldn't you all?"

"Not if it was your switch," The Councilman retorts, throwing his champagne glass on the floor. 

One of the S.T.R.I.K.E. men hands Pierce a gun. Right when Pierce takes it, I kick the Councilman out of the way before grabbing Pierce's wrist and hitting his face. I grab the gun, knocking another man out as I hear my sister fighting another one. I elbow the last man standing, flipping him over my back before landing one last clean punch to knock him out. I take his gun, pointing it at Pierce as I stand up.