Chapter 28

It soon falls night and I'm still in the woods

It soon falls night and I'm still in the woods. I eventually pull out my phone, seeing the missed calls and text messages. One of them is from Steve saying that he left with Nat and Scott to go see Bruce. Tony is expecting me back at his house. 

I force myself to my feet, wiping the dry and wet tears away. I take a deep breath before using my power to fly out of the woods and land in front of Tony's home. I walk up to the porch, entering the cozy home. 

"In here," I hear Tony say from the kitchen. 

I enter, his eyes on my every move as I go to help him with the dishes. He cocks an eyebrow at me while I begin handwashing the dishes that need to be hand-washed. 

"What?" I look up at him. I sigh, placing the dish back into the sink. "I'm sorry about earlier. You aren't selfish. I shouldn't have snapped considering you do have a lot at stake. A family."

"And you had one too," He says. "The Snap broke that family and you lost some of them. I understand why you were angry with me."

"Yeah, but-"

"Stop giving yourself a hard time," He interrupts. "Though, that's a super cool superpower you have. Where's it from?"

"General Dreykov had them from God knows where," I respond, continuing to clean. "He injected one in me right before I escaped the Red Room. I injected the second when I thought I would die. I haven't taken the third yet."

"Why not?" 

"I don't know what'll it do to me since I don't even know what substance it is," I purse my lips. "But why the hell not, huh? So what if it kills me? I've got nothing left." 

"You have Nat and Steve," He points out. 

"It's different now," I shake my head. "Nat's been too depressed to the point she won't talk to me for a couple of days. I try to be there for her but everything I say about what we went through brings her to tears. Steve's been great but he's never around. He's in Brooklyn, talking to people who need help and-"

"And you don't need help?" Tony interrupts. "Who's helping you? With these new powers and your own mental health?"

"It doesn't matter," I say. 

"Of course it does," He stops doing the dishes to face me. "And you shouldn't be scared of expressing your emotions when you feel inevitably alone because you're not. You have me too, you know?"

I look at him a soft smile forming on my lips. I wrap my arms around him, bringing him into a hug. It feels like it's been forever since I've hugged someone. But then I notice the picture on the shelf. I pull away and grab it. 

"This is the beginning of your weird little relationship with Peter, right?" I ask Tony, looking at the young boy. 

"Yeah," He sighs before taking it out of grasp and walking into another room.