Chapter 35

*****

*****

I rest my head on Sam's shoulder as we wait for James to be let out. I don't know why I'm so tired. It feels like I haven't slept in days. Sam luckily lets me rest until an unfamiliar presence appears in front of us. 

"Sam, I've heard a lot about you," The older woman says, looking from Sam to me. "And you are Anastasia from the Avengers, I believe?"

"Yes," I nod. 

"I'm Dr. Raynor," She shakes both of our hands as we stand up. "I'm James's therapist."

"So nice to meet you," I smile politely. 

"Thank you for getting him out," Sam adds. 

"That was not me," She corrects. 

"Christina," We hear an all too familiar voice speak from a distance on our right. We look over to see John shaking hands with police officers. 

"You know him?" Sam asks the doctor. 

"Yeah, we did some field ops back in the day," Christina informs us. 

"I heard you were working with Bucky, so I thought I'd step in," John says to Christina as he walks up to us. "Bucky's not gonna be following a strict schedule any longer."

"We haven't finished our work," Christina shakes her head. "Who authorized this?"

"Me," John points to himself. 

"Hang on a second," I put my hand up a little. "If he needs therapy - if that's what Dr. Raynor thinks is best - then he should continue doing it."

"He's too valuable an asset to have tied up so just do whatever you got to do with him, then send him off to me," John says, walking backward to leave. "Got some unfinished business, him and I. You too, Wilson and Romanoff. I'll be outside."

I scoff at him, watching his retreating body. I then turn my head to lock eyes with James, who has finished up signing some paperwork. I didn't know he was in therapy. I wonder what they talk about. About his past? 

"James, condition of your release, session now," Christina orders him. "You too, Sam and Ana."

"Oh, I don't do therapy," I tell her. 

"That wasn't a request."

"Okay, then."

~~~~~

"So," Christina begins as we three sit in front of her at a table in a private room. "Who would like to start?" 

"All right, look, Dr. Raynorr," Sam begins. "I get it, why you want me to talk to Freaky Magoo over here. But I'm 100% fine."

"Me too," I chime in. 

"It is my job to make sure that you're okay," She tells James. "And so, yeah, this may be slightly unprofessional, but it's the only way that I can see if you're getting over whatever's eating at you."