Chapter 15

*****

*****

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month," A news reporter is saying through the TV as I enter the office Steve is in. "The traditionally reclusive Wankandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them," King T'Chaka of Wakanda begins. 

I pick up the remote on the table, turning the TV off. Steve turns around in his seat, not knowing I had entered the room until then. I know he's upset over the victims in Lagos, but there isn't anything we can do about it now. We have to move on even if a few people hate us for what happened. 

"Wanda's already giving herself a hard time for what occurred," I tell him, walking closer to him. "I don't need you doing it too."

"I didn't want this to happen," He sighs, leaning back in his chair. 

"I know," I walk behind him, rubbing and squeezing his shoulders comfortingly. "We have to learn from this. Next time, we play it safer, alright?"

"Alright," He nods before I lean down to kiss his cheek. 

He sneakily turns his body again in the chair, grabbing my waist and pulling me down. He locks our lips, pushing me down so that I end up straddling him. I move both of my hands around his neck and into his soft hair. 

"What legal authority does an Enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria?" We hear the news playing from the room next to us. 

Steve and I pull away, knowing who's still caught up in the news. I get off of Steve and he stands up after me. We walk out of the room, entering Wanda's. Steve picks up the remote to his side, turning her TV off. 

"It's my fault," She says from where she sits on the edge of her bed. 

"It's not your fault," I tell her. 

"Turn the TV back on," She counters. "They're being very specific."

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it," Steve says. "Rumlow said "Bucky" and all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again in Brooklyn."

I look down at the ground, remaining standing as he goes to sit down beside her. I hate the fact I still react when someone mentions anything close relating to James. I know it shouldn't be bothering me but Steve has been great, understanding and ignoring my small reactions. 

"Listen, Wanda," I begin. "We try and save as many people as we can but it doesn't always work out like that. Sometimes, nobody gets saved. It sucks but we have to find a way to live with that."