Chapter 17

*****

*****

"I don't suppose you have any idea where they are?" Secretary Ross asks Nat, Tony, and me as we sit around an office. 

"We will," Tony assures. 

I keep my eyes locked deadly on Ross as he leans toward me. "Do you know where they are, Agent Romanoff? After all, with your past and now relationship with Captain Rogers, one of them might have given you a hint."

"I signed the Accords, Mr. Secretary," I lean forward on my seat. "I don't know where they are."

"Unfortunately, I don't know if I can trust your word," He sighs. "It's clear you can't be objective," Oh, how I want to punch you in the face. "I'm putting Special Ops on this."

"What happens when the shooting starts?" Nat asks curiously. "What, do you kill Steve Rogers?"

"If we're provoked," I bolt to my feet but Nat is quick to hold me back. "Barnes would've been eliminated in Romania if it wasn't for Rogers."

"If you kill either of them..." I catch my words, knowing I am showing emotion for both Steve and James. "I will-"

"Ana!" Tony cuts me off. He gives me a pleading look, wanting me to stop and calm down for my own good. I shrug Nat's grip off of me, flopping down in my chair angrily. "Will due respect, you're not gonna solve this with boys and bullets, Ross," Tony continues. "You gotta let us bring them in."

"How would that end any differently than last time?" Ross asks. 

"Give me 72 hours," Tony says. 

"36 hours," Ross shortens. 

~~~~~

"And there are five more super soldiers just like him," Steve is saying as Nat and I walk up to where he stands across from Tony, T'Challa, and Rhodey at the airport. "I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. I can't."

"Steve," I grab his attention. "You know what's about to happen."

"Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?" Nat asks him. 

Steve looks at me and I give him a look, not wanting to have to fight him. I don't want James to die, and I have faith we can stop that from happening but we have to get through this first. 

"All right, I've run out of patience," Tony brings his hands to his mouth before calling, "Underoos!"

Peter Parker, aka Spiderman, unleashes his web to grab Steve's shield. He flips over all of us before landing on a truck. I stand close to my sister as Tony and Steve begin to talk. 

I look up when Tony says, "You're gonna turn Barnes over, and you're gone come with us because it's us! Or a squad of J-SOC guys with no compunction about being impolite."

"Come on, Steve," I whisper, causing him to glance at me. 

He then tilts his head to the other side as if he is being informed by something. All of a sudden, he lifts his hands which are trapped by Peter's webs, and an arrow shoots through them, breaking them. Next, out of nowhere, a man becomes big and kicks Peter off of the truck, retrieving Steve's shield for him.  

"All right, there's two on the parking deck," Tony informs the others and me, using his suit technology to spot them. "One of them's Maximoff, I'm gonna grab her. Rhodey, wanna take care of Cap?"

Rhodey flies up, using his own suit to look inside the building to our left. "There's two in the terminal: Wilson and Barnes."

"Barnes is mine," T'Challa says as he sprints in that direction. 

My feet uncontrollably step toward the building but Nat grabs my arm, pulling me back. She looks at me, her face telling me that I have to remember who's on our team. 

I nod before moving to face one on the other team. The guy who became bigger turns to face me. I remember reading his file once. His name is Scott Lang and he goes by Ant-Man. 

"Listen, I really don't want to hurt you," Scott says through his mask. 

"Aw, that's cute," I smirk before kneeing him where it hurts every man. I grab over his back, intending on flipping him but he beats me to it by becoming small to use that as an advantage. I don't hesitate to whip out one of my batons, swinging it like a baseball bat and flicking the small man to one of the buildings. I know I hit him when I hear a squeal. 

I run in another direction where Steve and T'Challa are and Nat and Rhodey are. It doesn't take long for them to get an advantage, pissing us off. So we use the weapon we have. Vision. 

"Captain Rogers, I know you believe what you're doing is right," Vision begins after stopping Steve and his team from getting to the jet they are planning on using. "But for the collective good, you must surrender now."

I stand in between Nat and Tony, waiting for Steve to make his call. When they begin to walk toward us, I know we're going to fight. So, I run until I'm facing Clint. I dodge his swing, spinning around quickly flipping him to his back. I go to punch him but Wanda uses her power to stop my hand before throwing me into a truck. I roll until I'm on my feet, my batons firmly in my grip. 

Now, I'm pissed. 

I run until I'm facing James. He turns to look at me and I know he has no idea who I once was to him. I charge at him, blocking his punch and swinging my legs underneath him. After I knock him to the floor, I jump on top of him, punching him in the face. He uses his metal arm to hit me off of him. I stand up and barely miss his metal arm swinging at me. I hit him in the ribcage with my baton. Then, all of a sudden Steve's shield knocks my batons out of my hands. I turn around and face him. He holds his shield again in his hand, walking up to me. But he doesn't lunge or attack. 

"Please," He pleads. 

I falter, taking a step back. I turn around, looking at James, who just observes Steve and me. The building around us crashes and Steve lunges forward, grabbing my hand and running before we can get crushed. I quickly make sure James didn't get crushed. 

"You're not gonna stop, are you?" I ask Steve now that we're in between the crashed building and the jet. 

"You know I can't," He says. 

"Ana," I look back, meeting my sister's eyes. She knows what I'm thinking. 

I lift up my left arm, pointing my fist at T'Challa, who is trying to sneakily come up behind Steve and James. If I do this, I have to run for disobeying the government. But I'm here, standing in between two men I care deeply for and don't want them to get hurt. So, I do it. The electro-shock blast leaves my bracelet, hitting T'Challa and making him recoil in pain. 

"Go," I tell them. 

"Come with us, Ana," Steve takes a step closer to me and I take one back, staring into his blue-green eyes. 

"I can't, Steve," I regretfully tell him. "I have Nat and you have him, remember?" I can feel James and Nat's eyes on us. I touch the side of Steve's face softly. 

"Goodbye, Ana."

"Goodbye, Steve."