Chapter 6

*****

*****

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks," Sitwell tells us as we all sit in Sam's car. I'm unfortunately in between Sitwell and my sister while Steve gets shotgun. 

"Then why don't you try sticking a cork in it," Sam looks back at him through the rear-view mirror annoyed. 

"Insight's launching in 16 hours," Nat reminds Steve and Sam. "We're cutting it a little bit close here."

"I know," Steve says. "We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the helicarriers directly."

"What?!" Sitwell exclaims. "Are you crazy? That is a terrible idea."

I gasp as something lands on top of the roof of the car before punching through Sitwell's window and throwing him out of the car. I stare horrified as a truck hits the man. 

"Go!" Nat pushes me forward to crawl onto Steve's lap as she straddles the center console. 

Steve brings my head close to his chest as someone shoots at us. I hear his fast heartbeat, indicating he is just as scared as me. You'd think we would be all tough but who wouldn't be afraid of getting shot and killed? I move my hand to the car's lever, pushing it forward so the car brakes. The Winter Soldier flies forward off of the car. 

I swallow as a man with long, brown hair and a mask covering the majority of his face uses his metal hand to stop himself from sliding on the ground. Nat lifts up her gun but a car hits us from behind, forcing us toward the Winter Soldier. He jumps back onto the roof. I go to reach for my gun, struggling to get it from my position. 

"Shit!" Sam curses as the Winter Soldier punches through the window and rips off the steering wheel. I shoot the instant I am able to get my gun. 

"Nat," I point to Sam's window and she nods. 

"Use your shield to break the window," I tell Steve as Nat shoots at Sam's. 

In a matter of seconds, Steve is holding me tight as the passenger seat door rips off its hinges. We go flying out, curled on top of his shield as the door scrapes against the concrete. Steve helps me to my feet but then pushes me out of the way before the Winter Soldier shoots an explosive at us. 

"Steve!" I yell as the impact of it on his shield still sends him flying off of the bridge. 

I run before I can get shot, hiding behind an evacuated car. I grip onto my gun, wishing I had tied up my long hair. I roll over the hood of the car, jumping over the bridge to land on the one underneath it. Before I can emerge out of the shadows, I see the Winter Soldier's shadow as he waits to shoot me. I abruptly stop, taking a step forward to shoot at him instead. 

When he pauses, I run behind a bus. I continue to shoot at him as he does at me. I take a second to think before sprinting as fast and as far as I can. I luckily run out of the line of fire but I don't stop running. 

After I get a great distance away, I set a distraction behind a car before running to the other side of the road. I breathe heavily as I wait behind a Toyota, unzipping my crimson red leather jacket. 

When I see the Winter Soldier fall into my trip and become confused he didn't explode me, I use it to my advantage. I run toward him, kicking his gun away before straddling his shoulders. I use one of my gadgets to try to strangle him but he's too strong. 

I grunt as my lower back hits a car behind me and when he throws me off of him. Weirdly enough, like always, I'm not remotely injured by the impact. 

"Get out of the way!" I yell at civilians as I sprint away once more. I gasp when I am shot in the shoulder, pain taking over. I duck behind a car, putting pressure on my right shoulder. 

I look up as the Winter Soldier lands on the car behind me. Fortunately, Steve comes, grabbing the other Super Soldier's attention away from me. I take a few deep breaths before standing up. I check my gun to see it's out of bullets, tossing it to the floor. I reach my holster, taking out my two signature electroshock batons which happened to be created for me by none other than Tony Stark. And the neat thing about them is that my fingerprints are the only ones that allow them to trigger the electricity. 

I run up to the two men fighting, swinging one of my batons to hit the Winter Soldier. When he separates from Steve, I hit him in the abdomen, sending him flying back. He charges after me, blocking one of my swings. I duck as he tries to cut me with his knife. He slaps me across the face with his metal hand, sending me flying into a truck. 

"Son of a..." I trail off as Steve grabs onto his mask in order to swing him over his shoulder. Of course, it's him, I think as James Buchanan Barnes stands up, revealing him as this Winter Soldier. 

"Bucky?" Steve scrunches his eyebrows together. 

"Who the hell is Bucky?" He asks. 

Sam kicks him to the side before he can shoot Steve. I aimlessly walk toward him, still shocked to see him after all of this time. He turns his head to look at me and I know he doesn't recognize me. 

Anastasiya, I can still hear his voice in my head when he used to call me by my Russian name. 

"Ana!" Steve calls as I inch closer to Bucky. 

Before either of us can move again, Nat shoots one of the explosive bullets at a car next to Bucky. All of a sudden he's gone. I look back at my sister and Steve. He gives me a questioning look as she gives me a knowing one. 

I ignore them as police sirens are heard and numerous police cars surround us. Rumlow and his men emerge out of them, pointing their guns at us. 

"Drop the shield, Cap!" Rumlow orders Steve. "Get on your knees!"

"What the hell is going on?" I question as they arrest Steve. Someone grabs my wrist and I turn around quickly, punching them in the face. "Don't touch me."

"Ana," I turn my head to see Steve shaking his head at me. He wants me to comply. 

I look at Nat and Sam, noticing they're allowing these men to arrest them too. I look back at Steve who is still comprehending that his best friend that he thought was long dead isn't. I allow them to arrest me. 

~~~~~

"It was him," Steve says as we sit in a truck, arms contained so we can't escape. "He looked right at me like he didn't even know me."

"How is that even possible?" Sam asks in disbelief. "It was, like 70 years ago."

"Zola," Steve responds. "Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43. Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall," I look down after Steve locks eyes with me. "They must have found him and..."

"None of that's your fault, Steve," Nat reassures him. 

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky," Steve says and I can feel his eyes on me. He's picked up something when he saw my reaction from seeing Bucky. 

"How's your shoulder?" Nat asks me. 

"Fine," I observe the wound. Aren't I supposed to feel light-headed by now? 

"We need to get a doctor here," Sam looks at the two guards. "If we don't put pressure on the wound, she's gonna bleed out here in the truck."

All of us look at one of the guards bewildered as they use a baton to hit the other. They then kick the other one in the face, knocking him out. 

"Ah," They remove their helmet, revealing themselves as Agent Maria Hill. "That thing was squeezing my brain," She looks from Sam to Steve. "Who is this guy?"

I still stare at my wound. I've been shot before when I was completing missions for the Soviet Union but it never felt like this. However, I ignored how minimal pain I felt, knowing that I can still bleed out to death.