Chapter 25

*****

*****

I catch the three-pronged spear that Steve throws at me, hitting the other oddly looking creature in the legs. He spins around and I dig it into his chest. He screams as I remove it, swinging around to knock him to the ground, my dyed brown hair covering half of my face. 

I look back as a force takes the spear out of my grasp and it lands into the grip of the ugly-woman creature. She yells as she lunges forward but Steve runs and blocks it with another spear before she can stab me. I grunt as Steve, Nat, and I fight her off until Sam kicks her to the side, toward the man. We walk over to them. 

"We don't want to kill you," Nat begins. 

"But we will," I finish, standing in between my sister and Captain America. 

"You'll never get the chance again," The woman with blue hair and horns on her head spats. 

We look up as a blue light shines on them, sending them up into the sky and towards a circular ship. I turn around, heading to where Wanda kneels beside an injured Vision. 

"Can you stand?" Sam asks the synthezoid man before helping him to his feet. 

"Thank you, Captain," Vision nods at Steve thankfully. 

"Let's get you on the jet," Steve says before turning around to lead the way to the quinjet Nat and I brought from the thanks of our good friend, Rick Mason a few months ago. 

I get onto the jet, heading to the pilot seat while Nat closes the rear hatch. I press a couple of buttons before putting my hands on the steer, beginning to fly it up into the air. 

"I thought we had a deal," I hear Nat tell Wanda from behind me. "Stay close, check-in, don't take any chances."

 "I'm sorry," Wanda apologizes. "We just wanted time."

I look back at Steve as Nat takes the seat next to me to help fly the jet. "Where to, Capsicle?"

He turns to look at me and he doesn't even need to speak for me to know the answer. "Home."

~~~~~

I enter the office in the Avengers Facility where James Rhodes is speaking to a hologram of Secretary Ross. I walk on Steve's left as Nat walks on his right, Sam, Wanda, and Vision behind us. 

"Mr. Secretary," Steve nods at the hologram. 

"You got some nerve," Ross begins, walking toward us, mainly Nat and me after the stunt we pulled in Russia. 

"You could use some of that right now," I retort. 

"The world's on fire," Ross tells us. "And you think all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness," Steve responds. "And I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way..." He takes a step closer to the secretary and I inappropriately think about how hot he is when he's being intimidating, a smirk creeping on my face. "We'll fight you too."