Chapter 18

*****

*****

A/N: Warning!!! These next few chapters contain spoilers for Black Widow.  

~~~~~

*1995*

I stop pushing my little sister, Yelena Belova, on the swing when I hear Natasha whistle. I help Yelena down, following her to where Nat is coming from to meet us in the backyard of our Ohio home. I laugh as both Nat and Yelena do a backbend. I tilt back, doing the same. 

"We're all upside down," Yelena chuckles. 

"And I bet you're going to fall down first," Nat tells her. 

"No, Ana is," Yelena retorts. 

"No, I'm not!" I insist before I make a funny face. Yelena laughs, crashing down. "Told you so."

I get up like Nat, beginning to run around the backyard. I look back, Yelena following. I laugh as I run behind Nat but stop when I hear Yelena fall. Nat and I are quick to run back to her. As Nat holds her, I examine the cut on her knee while she calls out for our "mom," Melina Vostokoff. I lick my thumb, cleaning the dirt off as much as I can. Melina arrives, aiding her youngest "daughter."

"Get up, little one," Melina helps Yelena up. "You're okay. Your pain only makes you stronger. Right, Anastasia?"

"Yeah," I nod, walking to where Nat swings on the swingset. 

"Look," Yelena points at the beautiful trees beside us. "Forest stars."

"Those are actually a part of the Lampyridae party," I say, looking up at Melina. 

"You're right, smart girl," She ruffles my hair. She walks us closer to the forest stars. "And the glow that you see comes from a chemical reaction called bioluminescence," I stare in awe. "Come on, time for dinner."

I grab Nat's hand after she doesn't follow Melina and Yelena, dragging her with me into the house. 

"I want mac and cheese," Yelena tells Melina. 

"Ugh, you want mac and cheese," Melina groans. "Well, I want caviar and champagne."

"Can I have some?" I ask her. 

"Champagne?!" Melina exasperates. "You Little Miss Russian Girl are still too young."

"I'm not that young," I roll my eyes, grabbing the napkins and putting them down on the dining room table before I take a seat. 

"Dad's home!" Melina announces. 

"Hi, Dad!" I excitedly smile as Nat takes a seat on my left and Alexei Shostakov enters the room. 

"Hey, baby," He says, obvious that something is bothering him. 

"Everything okay?" Melina asks him concerned.