Chapter 14

*****

*****

"You okay?" I ask Nat after walking up to where she stands in the new Avengers Facility. 

"He's gone," She smiles even though she's upset over Bruce leaving. 

"I'm sorry," I squeeze her shoulder. "But, hey, maybe it's for the best. It's not the last time we're gonna all be together. We have a long way to go." 

"Yeah, you're right," She sighs. "You and Steve?" 

"We're staying here with you to whip up the others in shape," I say. "But I think we're gonna give it a go," I feel the broad smile forming on my mouth at the thought of that. 

"Oh my God," Nat points at my face. "You're blushing." 

"Oh, shut up," I swat her hand away, the smile staying on my mouth. 

"You love me," She chuckles. 

"I guess I have to," I say, making her hit me in the arm. "Kiddin. You know I love you."

"Love you too, sis."

~~~~~

"Hey, boys," I smile at Steve, Tony, and Thor, catching up to them. 

"Hey," Steve looks at me smiling as I begin to walk in between him and Thor.

"Please," Tony rolls his eyes. "You two act like teenagers."

"The only person here acting younger than thier age, is you, Shellhead," I retort. 

"Whatever, Little Crimson," He says. 

"You two both act like children," Steve remarks. 

Tony and I exchange looks, shrugging in agreement. 

"You two are also strange," Thor chuckles. "Perhaps, why your friendship is so strong."

"I like your thinking, Point Break," I wink at him. 

"Hey! You stole the nickname I gave him," Tony claims. "And the one I gave Cap, now that I think about it."

"You can't own nicknames," I tell him. 

"Very mature, indeed," Thor comments sarcastically. "I'm gonna miss these little talks of ours."

"Not if you don't leave," Tony points out. 

"I have no choice," Thor says. "The Mind Stone is the fourth of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. It's not a coincidence," He adds as we walk out of the building. "Someone has been playing an intricate game and made pawns of us."

"We wouldn't want that, would we?" I question, pretending to be offended. 

"Exactly," Thor doesn't catch on on my joke. "And once all these pieces are in position..."

"Triple Yahtzee," Tony finishes. 

"You think you can find out what's coming?" Steve asks Thor. 

"I do," Thor nods, walking more forward than us as we stop. "Besides thess two," He points at Tony and me. "There's nothing that can't be explained," He then takes off into the sky, going back home to Asgard. 

"That man has no regard for lawn maintenance," Tony remarks as we look at the mark Thor had left before making our way to Tony's car. "I'm gonna miss him, though. And you two are gonna miss me. There's gonna be a lot of man - and womanful tears."

"I will miss you, Tony," Steve tells him. 

Tony just looks at me, waiting for me to say something. "I guess I'll miss you, too."

"You better, Little Crimson Widow," Tony says. "You know, maybe I should take a page from Barton's book. Build Pepper a farm, hope nobody blows it up."

"The simple life," Steve sums up. 

"You'll get there one day," Tony assures. 

I look down at the ground, thinking that's what Steve wants. I know that's something I'll never have. Not only because I don't think it's possible, but because I've never seen myself settling down and not fighting. 

"I don't know," Steve eventually responds. "The guys who wanted all that went in the ice 75 years ago," I look back up at Steve, meeting his blue-green eyes with my green ones. "I think someone else came out and that's probably a good thing."

"Maybe it is," I smile. 

"You two better behave yourselves while I'm gone," Tony points between us like he's our parent. 

"Bye, Tony," I roll my eyes, watching as he gets into his expensive car and speeds off. 

Even though he can annoy me at times, I definitely will miss Tony. Helping him back in 2010 was one of my first missions at S.H.I.E.L.D. and it was a blast getting to know the genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist underneath that suit of armor. I also won't deny that we were very flirty with each other then. But no woman other than Pepper Potts can hold that man down. 

"So, you staying around this time?" Steve asks me as we walk back inside the facility. 

"Why would I leave?" I look up at him. 

"I thought Fury had a looser leash on you nowadays," He responds. 

"He does," I shrug. "But Nat's here...and so are you."

"I want to tell you something," Steve stops me from walking, turning me to face him. 

"Yeah?"

"Sam and I only have cold leads on Bucky," He informs me. "I thought I should let you know. Talk to you and keep you updated."

"You're absolutely amazing, Steve," I place the palm of my right hand on his cheek. "But I told you this won't come in between us," I try to convince myself more than him. "I don't need updates."

"You sure?" 

I kiss him. "Does that answer your question?"

He locks his lips on mine again. "Now it does."

"Come on, Super Soldier," I nod for him to follow me. 

We walk through double doors, entering the room I had left my older sister in. She is still here, staring at the wall. I know her mind is running with thoughts. I feel bad that Bruce disappeared suddenly, but I think it was for the best. I also always thought she and Clint had feelings for each other. I mean, can you blame me after spending years observing their relationship?

"You wanna keep staring at the wall, or do you wanna go to work?" Steve asks her, drawing her attention to us. 

"It is a pretty interesting wall," I point out, looking at it. 

"You two done gazing into each other's eyes?" She asks, walking up to us. She grabs the tablet from Steve. "How do we look?

"Well, we're not the '27 Yankees," Steve responds. 

"We got some hitters," She says. 

"They're good," He gives them that. "They're not a team."

"Then let's beat them into shape," I suggest before we enter the other room where Sam Wilson, Wanda Maximoff, Vision, and James Rhodey wait for us. 

Steve looks at Nat, then me, and then finally at the others. "Avengers..."