Chapter 36

*****

*****

"He's just through that corridor," An officer at the Berlin Correctional Facility informs us after we follow him down a hallway. With every step, I get antsier and antsier about this. 

"Alright," Bucky begins. "Give us a sec." When the man continues to walk forward, Bucky turns to Sam and me. "I'm gonna go in alone."

"Why?" Sam asks at the same time Chase says "No."

"'Cause you two are Avengers," James replies. "You know how he feels about that."

"It's not like you two were known for folickin' in the sun together," Sam says, making me chuckle.

"He was obsessed with HYDRA," James reminds us. 

"And he knows your trigger words," I tell him. 

"They don't work on me anymore," He looks at me, giving me a reassuring look. "I'll be fine."

"But..." I realize I may be showing more emotion than I should. "I don't trust him."

"I got this," He says, keeping his eyes locked on mine. "Okay?"

"Okay," I nod reluctantly, watching his retreating figure walk down to the corridor. 

"What's up with you?" I almost forgot Sam is right next to me until he spoke. 

"Nothing," I turn to face him. 

"There's something definitely up with you," He says, looking me up and down as if he can read me. "Does it have to do with Bucky?"

"What? No," I quickly shut down. "No."

"Why do you call him James and not Bucky?" Sam asks me. 

"Stop asking me questions Sam," I snap. "I'm fine."

"You're obviously not fine," Sam insists and I feel myself get angrier and angrier even though Sam is a good friend to me. He's still pushing my buttons. "You were never this tense before you left for Paris."

"Yeah, well, I left when my sister died and my boyfriend timetraveled to marry someone else," I utter out, making him regret pestering me. 

"Is that really why you ran off?" 

"Sam."

"Sorry," He puts his hands up as if he's surrendering. "It's good to work with you again, though."

"Thank you," I smile softly. "Same with you and... James."

Sam roams his eyes on me, still trying to read me. I ignore it but I'm scared that he knows something's up. Yes, I am tense. I'm tense around James because I was all for what Steve said about seeing what happens with him but now that I'm back, I don't know how he'll react if I tell him about our past that he has no recollection of. It also seems Sam knows more than I thought. I never told him about James and me but maybe Steve did.