Chapter 16

*****

*****

I stand next to my sister in my red crimson suit, my hair tied back in a neat, yet messy bun. I nervously watch Nat sign her signature on a document, waiting for my turn. I take the pen from her and hover it over the paper. I hope I don't regret this. I sign it. 

"I guess none of us are used to the spotlight," Nat and I turn around, smiling at T'Challa, King T'Chaka's son. 

"It's not all self-flattering," I respond. 

"But you seem to be doing all right so far," Nat adds. 

"I am," He smiles then looks at me. "Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill, I wouldn't think you'd be particularly comfortable in this company." 

"I'm not," I admit. 

"And that alone makes me glad you're here, Ms. Romanoff," He then looks at Nat. "Both of you."

"Why?" Nat asks curiously. "You don't approve of all this?"

"The Accords, yes. The politics, not really," He responds honestly. "Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred."

"Unless you need to move a piano," King T'Chaka points out after he makes his way to us. He looks at my sister and me. "Ms. Romanoffs'." 

"Please, allow us to apologize for what happened in Nigeria," Nat apologizes for both of us. 

"Thank you," He smiles. "Thank you for agreeing to all of this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

"So am I," I say. 

"If everyone could please be seated," A man says through the speakers. "This assembly is now in session."

Nat and I say our farewells, for now, making our way to sit at the front row. I cross my left leg over my right, waiting for T'Chaka to stand behind the podium. I have a weird feeling. 

"When stolen Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy," T'Chaka begins. "Those men and women killed in Nigeria were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative."

I notice T'Challa looking out the window. I look at him, observing how he slowly walks toward it. I feel my foot bounce against the floor and hear my breath quicken as his face falls. 

"Everybody get down!" He yells, trying to run to his father. 

I grab Nat out of instinct, jumping out of my chair to pull us to the ground right as an explosion is heard. I hold on to Nat as smoke feels my nostrils and glass falls around us. I cough, sitting up and looking down at the large, glass shard stuck in my left thigh. I don't remove it, not wanting to bleed out. I look up, feeling empathy as T'Challa rocks his now-dead father in his arms. I glance at Nat, sighing in relief after she wakes up from fainting.