Chapter 39

*****

*****

I follow Sharon through an outdoor warehouse in between Bucky and Sam with Zemo behind them. My usually black boots clack on the ground as I look around the various containers. 

"Madripoor could give New York a run for its money," Sam says.

"They know how to party," Zemo adds.

"With that bounty on your head, the longer you're in Madripoor, the less likely you're ever leaving," Sharon tells the criminal. We stop walking when she does. "Alright, he's down there. Container four-two-six-one. I'll keep an eye out while you guys talk to Nagel," She hands them each an earpiece. "But hurry. We're on borrowed time."

Sharon disappears as we walk toward the container she said. Sam opens it up, revealing nothing inside of it. 

"Hey, Sharon," Sam looks around. "You sure this is the right one? It's completely empty."

"Positive," She says through our earpieces. "It has to be."

Zemo finds a secret door and I begin following Sam and Zemo deeper into the container with James right behind me. The three men lift up their guns as we begin to hear music the closer we get. We stop right behind the man who continues to work on the blue liquid while singing along to the music. He turns his head and gasps. 

"Doctor Nagel?" Sam questions, holding his gun up.

"Who are you? What do you want?" The man rushes out.

"We know you created the super-soldier serum," I say.

"Get out of my lab," He demands.

"Hey!" Sam says as we follow the man deeper into the lab. He stops abruptly when he sees James. "You know who he is, right?" Sam points at Zemo. "This is Baron Zemo. I know you've heard of him, too, right?"

"You seem like a pretty smart guy," I continue. "So you better start talking right now."

"How about a counter proposal?" Nagel offers. "Make me a better offer and I'll talk."

"Guys, we have company," Sharon informs us. Bucky immediately points his gun at Nagel's head. "Every bounty hunter in the city is here. We gotta go!"

James nods at me, letting me know to hurry things up. I lift up my hand toward Nagel, creating an energy source that begins to suck out his very own energy. 

"Okay," He gasps out, trying to make me stop. He falls to his knees when I do. "I was brought into HYDRA's Winter Soldier program to pick up their work after the five failed test subjects in Siberia. When HYDRA fell, I was recruited by the CIA. They had blood samples from an American test subject with semi-stable traces of serum in his system.

"After much labor, I was able to isolate the necessary compounds in his blood. I was a god," I look between James and Sam and then back to Nagel as he continues. "I did what no other scientist since Erskine was able to do. But mine was going to be different. No clunky machines or jacked-up bodies. Mine was going to be subtle, optimized, perfect."