Chapter 32

A/N: Finally!!! We're getting into the focus of Ana and Bucky's relationship. What do you think will happen now that Steve's no longer in the picture? What would you like to see? What do you think about Ana's new powers?

Don't forget to vote and comment! I really appreciate the support!

~~~~~

*****

*****

*A few months later*

I bite into my pistachio croissant as I walk down the streets of Paris, France, the city I moved to after we had won the battle against Thanos. I keep the black Brixton Fiddler Fisherman Cap on top of my head to better disguise myself in this crowded city. I may not be a wanted fugitive anymore, but I like not being recognized on the streets as the Crimson Widow. 

As I walk, the cool breeze making my red hair flowing behind me, I spot two sisters inside of a bakery hugging each other. It seems as if they have been apart for some time and are reuniting. I smile longingly, thinking of Nat. I feel a tear trickle down my left cheek underneath my black Rey Bans. 

I quickly brush it away before turning around, surprised when I see the multiple TVs behind a store's window across the street. I look both ways as I cross the road and jog to the other side. I look through the window, curious to know what is going on in the United States. Even though I speak fluent French, the one TV I'm looking at is in English. Each TV in there seems to be in a variety of languages. 

"Unrest, in the wake of recent events, has left us vulnerable," I faintly hear the man's voice through the TV. "Every day Americans feel it. While we love heroes who put their lives on the line to defend Earth, we also need a hero to defend this country. So, on behalf of the Department of Defense and our Commander-in-Chief, it is with great honor that we announce here today that the United States of America has a new hero."

What? I think to myself. 

"Join me in welcoming your new Captain America," He continues before a foreign man comes out of the building in a different Captain America suit but Steve's shield. The very same shield he had given Sam the last time I had seen either of them. The day after that, I took a trip to Paris and decided not to return. 

This is not what he wanted. I feel my blood boil at the sight of this man. How could America do this? How could Sam let this happen? 

"Mademoiselle (Miss)?" I hear a soft, female voice from behind me. "Est-ce que ça va (Are you okay)?"

"Hmm?" I quickly turn around to look at the older woman with grey hair. 

"Est-ce que ça va (Are you okay)?" She repeats. "Ton bras est blessé (Your arm is hurt)," She points at my right arm. 

I look down, realizing I am fisting my hands. I release them as I look at my burned arm that is almost completely healed after it suffered severe damage from the Snap. With the help of my new powers, Bruce assured me it would heal faster than his but will still appear discolored and take time to not hurt when touched. The woman must have thought it was hurting me so bad and that's why I was balling my hands into fists. 

"Je vais bien (I'm fine)," I assure her. "Merci," I quickly turn and walk fast down the sidewalk, my croissant crushed surely enough. 

I start to run back to my apartment, racing up the steps to the third floor and shutting my door harshly. I don't even make it two steps into my small apartment before I'm leaning on the wall beside me for support. I throw my cap and glasses off, resting my back against the wall before sliding down to my butt. 

I begin sobbing, the tears falling uncontrollably down my face. The feeling of loneliness eating me up inside. I've lost Tony, I've lost Steve, I've lost Nat-I've lost the Avengers. I told Steve my fight wasn't over and there's no fight going on. 

I am inevitably alone. 

I slam my hand to my side, feeling it create a hole through the wall into my bedroom. I am too upset to now get mad at myself. I put my head into my hands, crying like I haven't since my sister died. 

"That was a nice wall," I quickly stand up, lifting my hands up and putting them right back down when I see Nick Fury standing a few feet away from me. He's standing in the doorway that leads to the kitchen. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask him, walking past him to enter my kitchen to pour us each a shot of vodka. Something I adapted drinking every day because of Yelena - who I haven't had the courage in calling - even though I can't get drunk. Luckily, Thor had some Asgardian Ale delivered to me a few weeks after I arrived in Paris. 

"You have a nice set-up here," Nick remarks as he looks around my kitchen, refusing the shot I try to hand to him. I just drink his. 

"What are you doing here?" I repeat, leaning against my small kitchen island. 

"There is a group of terrorists that call themselves the Flag Smashers," Fury begins. "And I'm pretty sure Sam Wilson and James Buchanan Barnes-"

"I am not going back to New York," I tell him. "And I'm not working with those me and I don't have to take orders from you. I don't work for you anymore." 

"I know, Agent Romanoff but-"

"But nothing," I cut him off, shaking my head. "I've moved on. The Avengers Initiative is done. You have new heroes to help with whatever problem you have."

"It's not my problem," He corrects. "They are a threat to the entire world, Anastasia. I know your past with the Winter Soldier is difficult," I look down at the ground. "But he is teaming up with the Falcon. I also know that you'd very much rather have Sam take on that title and carry that shield instead of this John Walker guy."

"I didn't know his name," I mumble before locking eyes with Fury. "How do you even know what James and Sam are up to?"

"I have eyes everywhere if you're forgetting," He reminds me. "They may not work for me but I like to keep tabs on every Avenger. Old and new."

"I don't know, Nick," I shake my head, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm scared getting involved in this. I haven't fought beside anyone since..."

"You saved the entire universe," He finishes. 

"That wasn't just me."

"I know," He nods before taking a step forward and placing his hand on my right shoulder. "I know you're scared but this is what you wanted. To make this world a better place to live in. And even though Thanos is gone, we still have new threats pouring in by the minute. The world is lucky to have a defender like you. It needs you. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier need you too."

I purse my lips as I take in everything he has said. I lost a lot of people I cared about but there are still more still out there. People I know I'll have to face sooner or later. I was given the chance to live through that battle, to see him again. 

I look down at my chest, at the red garnet birthstone with diamonds around it that Steve had given me for my birthday years ago. I then notice Yelena's vest she had given Nat on one of the chairs around the tiny dining table to my right. 

"Okay," I nod, looking back at Fury. "Where do you need me?"