Chapter 45

Ana

Ana

"Hello," I take a deep breath as the familiar, Russian accent is heard on the other end of my phone. 

"Yelena," I finally have the courage to say. "Hi."

I hear her take her own shaky breath. "Hi."

"I'm sorry, I should've called sooner," I lean against the kitchen sink of Sam's house. "I was just...being selfish. Scared," She doesn't say anything. I feel my eyes begin to water at the thought of Nat. "I am so incredibly sorry. I loved her so much. I really tried," My voice breaks. "I wish it would've been me."

"Don't say that," She says. "Either way, I would've lost a sister."

"It's still my fault," I purse my lips. "I wasn't strong enough. To save her...to call you."

"You're calling now," She points out. "Maybe...we could see each other soon?"

"I'd like that," I choke out, trying not to cry. 

"Bye, starshaya sestra (big sister)," She says. 

"Bye, mladshaya sestra (little sister)," I say before hanging up. 

I smile softly to myself, wiping my eyes to make sure no tears fall. I think of Yelena and James and Sam. They're still a part of my life and I'm going to make sure they always are. I place my phone in one of the many pockets of my vest before walking out the back door. I wave at Sam before hoping on the motorcycle I brought here. I know I'll be seeing him soon. All of them. 

~~~~~

It only takes a week to get a lead and a few hours to get from Paris to New York. I walk beside James as we make our way to t GRC headquarters. 

"I'm almost there," Sam informs James and me as we look around our surroundings.

"What's the plan?" I ask. 

"Karli's gotta be close," Sam begins. "Keep your eyes open."

"Well, it could be anybody," James points out. 

"Sergeant Barnes. Agent Romanoff," An officer nods at James and then me as they let us past them.

"And by the way, I called in some backup," Sam tells us. 

"Excuse me," A man stops James and me from walking toward the building. "Are you supposed to be here?" They then remove the technology that disguises their face to reveal that it's actually Sharon. "It's me."

"What the hell are you doing here?" James asks confused. 

"Relax," She says. "No one's looking for me here."

"They'll move on the building soon," Sam says.  "Be ready."

"Come on," I nod for James and Sharon to follow me.