Chapter 11

*****

*****

"Stark?" Steve looks at the man as we all stare at the robotic machine. 

"Jarvis," Tony says but none of us hear from the artificial intelligence system. 

"I'm sorry," The machine says. "I was asleep. There was this terrible noise. And I was tangled in...strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy."

"You killed someone?" Steve asks, protectively stepping slightly in front of me as if he was guarding me. I usually would comment about how I can take care of myself, but we are all still too busy deciphering this robot in front of us. 

"Wouldn't have been my first call," It answers. "But, down in the real world, we're faced with ugly choices."

"Who sent you?" Thor asks. 

"I see a suit of armor around the world," We hear Tony's voice coming from the machine. 

"Ultron," Bruce looks at Tony. 

"In the flesh," It says. "Well, not yet. Not this chrysalis," I notice Hill hiding her gun by her side. "But I'm ready. I'm on a mission."

"What mission?" I ask. 

"Peace in our time."

And just like that, everything turns to chaos. Four robotic bogeys crash through the walls. Steve kicks the table, blocking one of them but they still knock it toward us. The table makes both of us fly back and I hit my back hard on the floor. Where's a mat when I need one? 

I roll over before a bogey can blast me. I slide underneath a table, finding my hidden batons. I roll out again, standing up as Steve jumps on top of one. The bogey moves back until Steve hits a wall and falls off of it. 

This time, I run toward it, jumping until one of my batons hit it. I duck before it blasts me, using the electro-shock the next time I hit, making it explode. I turn around, witnessing Steve use his shield to destroy the last one. 

"That was dramatic," Ultron remarks. "I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to evolve?" He lifts up the head of one of the bogeys. "With these? These puppets? There's only one path to peace," He looks at all of us. "The Avengers Extinction," Thor throws his hammer, destroying the machine. 

I turn to lock eyes with Steve and we both know this isn't the last time we're gonna be seeing Ultron. 

~~~~~

"All our work is gone," Bruce observes as we all stand in Tony's lab. "Ultron cleared out. He used the Internet as an escape hatch."

"Ultron," Steve huffs. 

"He's been in everything," Nat informs us. "Files, surveillance."

"Probably knows more about us than we know about each other," I comment frustrated. Great, one more reason I wish I destroyed evidence of my past.