Chapter 46

*****

*****

*Three weeks later*

"They're gonna be here soon!" I call out to James as I finish baking the famous Russian puff pastry, pirozhki. I take off my apron and wash my hands. 

As I do so, I feel a pair of arms wrap around me from behind and warm lips touch my shoulder. I chuckle as I spin around in James's arms, kissing him. He deepens it, making me lean back against the counter. 

"Stop, we have guests arriving," I pull away. 

"Ugh, fine," He groans before unclasping the clip in my hair to make my red lock fall down my shoulders. "Better."

The doorbell of our small apartment in Paris, France rings. I quickly look at the dining room table to make sure it looks nice before making my way to the front door. James immediately starts bringing out the food to the table. 

I let out a breath before opening the door. I smile as I lock eyes with Yelena, Alexei, and Melina behind her. They all smile back at me. 

"I like your vest," Is the first thing Yelena says as she looks at the vest over my white t-shirt. 

"Look at your arm!" Alexei barges into the house, lifting up my right arm and inspecting it. "I'm so proud of you, my child. This is a battle scar."

"That's what I told her," They all look past me to look at James. He walks up and extends his hand out to Alexei. "I'm James."

"Yes, yes, the Winter Soldier," Alexei shakes his hand, looking him up and down. Of course to size him up because he thinks he's better than everyone. 

"He's not the Winter Soldier anymore," I correct. "He's the White Wolf. Or you could just refer to him as my boyfriend but you know it's up to you."

"Finally," Yelena chuckles before shaking his hand too. 

"Hmm," Melina looks between James and me. "You better treat her well."

"Mama," I roll my eyes. It wasn't hard falling back into referring to Alexei and Melina as Dad and Mom and Yelena as sister. They were always my family.

"Always," James reassures before gesturing at the table. "Come, sit. Anastasiya cooked a beautiful lunch and we still have a couple of others joining us." 

"Perfect timing," Sam enters our apartment, the door still open, with Sarah and her two kids behind him. 

"Sam, this is my family," I gesture at them. "Guys, this is Sam Wilson, Captain America."

"Are we battling too?" Alexei asks from where he already sits at the table. 

"You never fought Steve," I shake my head, looking at Sam. "Don't listen to him."

"I speak the truth," Alexei insists. 

I greet Sarah and her kids, watching as they all go to sit down as James continues to bring out the food. I lean against the wall, smiling at the people I love enjoying themselves. James finishes up and walks to stand beside me, wrapping an arm around my waist. 

"I wish Steve and Natasha were here," He tells me. 

"They are," I smile up at him. "They always are. All of them," I look at my family. "We all have each other even if they're not physically here."

"I love you, Anastasiya."

"Ya tozhe tebya lyublyu (I love you too), James."

He kisses me quickly before going to sit at the table with the others. I keep the smile plastered on my face. I shake my head, thinking about the day Dreykov told me he had the key to James's memories. It wasn't anything like a technique or a password to unlock his memories. It was a feeling. An emotion. Something so powerful in this world. It was love. He had to fall in love with me as our new selves to unlock the love we had all of those years ago. 

But the thing is, we're not pushing what we had when we first fell in love. We're embracing the new love. We're moving on together and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm not inevitably alone. I'll always have the Avengers and Steve and Nat and the people in front of me today. I'll always have James. 

~~~~~

A/N: I can't believe that's it. I hope you guys enjoyed this book and there's another one in the process. Thank you for everything and don't forget to vote and comment on what you've thought so far and what other books you would like to see!!!