Chapter 21 - Edited

The party was going on without a hitch. Long tables lined the back halls signifying where the werewolves and witches would sit based on rank.

The Coven leaders was sitting next to the Silver Light packs Alpha talking quickly and in hushed tones.  The other Alphas and leaders sat around them. Some expressing tones louder than was necessary to which Ava concluded came from too much wine or beer.

She sat at a table with the omegas. They cowered at her power but respected her new title. She nodded to them and smiled but it never reached her eyes.

Her wolf sat upright now, listening and watching everything she needed to to keep them both safe. Their hearing was the strongest it had ever been and she could hear men talking about her as if she was newborn wolf. In this dress a lot of the men were appraising her. Speaking in low tones so none of the Alphas, especially Don, could hear them. But she heard them. She turned to look at a group of young males and let her power of the Goddess shine through her skin, lighting her eyes to a bright silver with unleashed power.

They cowered. And Ava didn't bother to reign it in. Her power was beginning to become a little unruly with her heightened emotions. And since she was in a crowded room where everyones emotions, especially lust and fear was heightened, she was on edge. Her anger was short. She thought how good it would be to just silence them all, make them sleep for a century or two. Something inside herself knew she could do it. But she took a breath and realised even if they fell asleep and woke up 100 years from now, they would still be afraid of her.

"Welcome all... to tonights festivities." Alpha Don drawled. "Tonight is a celebration of sorts. A welcoming of all the packs and covens of our nation together here as one. An accumulating of factions here for one cause." Dons eyes were blurry as he looked over the crowd. His eyes stopped on his daughter before they formed two thin slits. "Changes were made so that we could come together to fight this evil that is nearly upon us. Not all of them good."

Ava's light began to dim as she heard chuckles around the room at her expense.

"Once this war is over, it has been discussed among the other Alphas and I that anyone with significant power will be asked to leave. This is to give the rest of us mere mortals a chance at living a normal life. More will be discussed then. But let us not think about that now and have a good night."

Alpha Don sat down haphazardly his wife looking worriedly between her husband and her daughter who face had blanked.

He didn't mean it. He's just drunk.

I think he did. Most Alphas know what they're saying even when they've been drinking.

True. Should we leave? Artemia asked. 

No! Let's not give them the satisfaction.

Ava picked up her knife and fork and began to cut into her steak. She smiled at her father, her eyes gleamed until the room darkened and a chill could be felt in the air. She stared her father down and sent him a telepathic twinge.

We will leave after we finish saving your arses. But after that, never come to look for us again...because you will not be welcome.

Her father cringed and continued to eat. The power play and embarrassment was lost.

Ava and Artemis knew they would be looking for a new home soon, if they survive what's coming.

*****

Copyright © All Rights Reserved 2020 for NeoNixButterfly21/Christine