Chapter 28 - Edited

Ava walked through the gardens surrounded by fairies. They were leading her to a place that they had never shown any other person.

People got lost in the mountains all the time but once they were cared for, the fae had thrown them out. Lest they would destroy what they had created for millenia within their gardens.

Ava followed one fae and then another until they brought her to a castle.

The castle was built into a cliff face and spread out to large trees. They kept large family treehouses for the larger fae.

A willow thin fae turned around and welcomed her to the place where the elves dwelled. Calahidrel.

An elf King waited for Ava to approach him and watched steadily as she walked through the winding staircase.

One by one the fae disappeared into the safety of the trees until Ava was face-to-face with the Elven King.

"It is time, Ava, that you and Artemia leave our gardens. You have stayed here long enough. You are very much welcomed here, but you have something you have to do before that can happen on a more permanent basis if that is what you wish."

"You mean the war."

"Yes, it will affect more then just the outside but also the gardens and fae within this mountain. When you touch one thing and try to change the purity in which that has been created, it can and will affect everything that is within and outside of it. Everyone and everything is connected to each other."

"I know that." Ava contemplated the elve Kings words and wondered through their connection to Artemia, "Where would we go?"

"Find a clan that isn't afraid of the power you wield."

The elve king looked at Ava raising his eyebrow slightly as if the answer was clear to them all. He turned around to go back inside the walls of his castle to where a slender female waited for him. They embraced quickly, seeming to breathe the other in.

Ava walked back down the steps calling for Artemia who had been hunting in the mountains.

Artemia walked through the gardens sniffing for Ava and found her freshest scent. After awhile, they walked side by side comfortably thinking about all that had happened.

Where do we go? Artemia inquired.

I have some money saved up. We can go to a cabin in the woods somewhere.

Artemia shook her head. That won't work.

We can't go home yet.

No. Even if they asked for our forgiveness, I don't think I could live there.

Ava nodded her agreement. Where could they go?

Packing what little she had in a rut sack given to her by the fae. Ava followed a leaf spirit to another doorway. Her body flowed and moved light leaves in the wind, before she  stopped in front of an archway and gestured for Ava and Artemia to go walk through.

This path will lead you both to where you were always meant to be. Take your time, as you won't be allowed back until after your battle.  

The leaf spirit left.  Ava looked at Artemia and they both walked through the archway together.

As they walked through the archway a forest just lay ahead. They could see snow on the ground and animals in the distance. The smell was crisp and clean with no scents of depravity, darkness or blood. It seemed safe. The archway disappeared and Ava began to walk up the mountain. Artemia followed and rain up the mountain, her fur blending with the snow around her. A few moments later Ava heard a yelp, growl and crazed barks. She ran up the hill until she saw wolves circling Artemia while she was stuck in a rope trap up in a tree. The barking and howling was too loud even for Ava to understand fully that she stepped into the fray. Ava scanned the forest and her gaze fell on an older man somewhat in his forties but she couldn't be sure. He had other men and women on either side of him, their faces matching the steel of his own.

Ava glided over the snow, her footsteps making no indentation or sound as she went to the first wolf on the ground, looked them in the eye before she picked them up one by one and hurled them into the trees. They were werewolves she knew so being thrown wouldn't harm them. She looked at the trap and dissolved it before gently placing Artemia on the ground. Artemia shook her massive body and growled at the werewolves watching a ways down the mountain. Ava did not like the look of them staring at both of them and she lifted her hand out towards who she could feel was the Alpha and began to mutter words under her breath so that none of them could chase her or Artemia up the hill. She watched as they realised too late that they were stuck. Ava turned upward again changing into a large hawk and flew up into the trees. Artemia had disappeared into the snow clad forests and silence rang out behind them.

How is it Artemia, that we only make enemies everywhere we go?

Artemia howled off into the distance before Ava took to the skies, never looking back.

*****

As the hawk and wolf disappeared up into the Carpathian Mountains, Raphael realised something. He had just found his mate. His one powerful mate. He had looked at the other men who had trapped the wolf and didn't know what to say. 

The older werewolves looked at him concerned. 

"Follow them, quickly!" Raoul said. 

The werewolves followed as quickly as the snow would allow. Raoul led the way up the mountain. He couldn't wait to finally hear the voice of his mate. 

*****

Copyright © All Rights Reserved 2020 for NeoNixButterfly21/Christine