Chapter 48 - Edited

Ava stepped out of the tent as the sun was going down. She could smell the faint scent of her mate and another scent that she recognised as her fathers. She ignored her fathers scent and followed the trail of her mates instead. She wasn't ready to meet her father just yet and was starting to get hungry.

She weaved through the tents; the noise of soldiers polishing weapons and armour preparing for battle could be heard. She heard sounds of laughter and drinks being poured as they celebrated the last hurrah! She felt eyes follow her, but ignored it. She zeroed in on the feeling and felt Artemia stir within opening one eye. She felt the members of her old pack watching her as she moved through the encampment. And honestly, I don't want to see them either.

She turned around slowly feeling the magic inside her swell so that she could make a shield against them and came face to face with her father.

Shit!

Ava took a step back, swallowing a growl that wanted to escape her mouth. She clamped her mouth shut tight and tried to get her emotions under control. She failed.

"Ava!" Her father exclaimed, a small smile forming on his mouth.

"It's good to see you." She pushed out.

His face fell for a moment as he tried to think of what to say next.

"I just wanted to say -" Don said. He stopped talking as he tried to gather courage. It had never been this difficult to talk to his own daughter.

"After you left -" He began but Ava brushed passed him.

"I don't have time to talk right now. I'm looking for someone."

"Your mate. I know, we've met him. But I just wanted to talk to you about what happened after you left."

Ava stopped and turned quickly.

"Excuse me? Before I left? Do you hear yourself?" She asked, she could feel the fury start to burn in the pit of her stomach.

She turned around and hurried away trying to control her temper.

Ava, calm down.

Artemia, not now!

"Wait! Ava! Please just give me a moment to explain -"

Ava moved through the tents until she came to an opening on the other side of the encampment. She could see the rest of the army that was just down the hill. They had erected their own tents and built fires for what would be a long cold night. She took a deep breath and tried to clear her head.

This is not going to work.

You have to keep your emotions under control. Artemia said.

As Ava tried to keep her breathing even, she felt her father come up behind her.

"Ava we need to talk about what happened after you left. Please...just let me get it out so I can stop thinking about this!" He implored.

Ava closed her eyes.

"Why do you keep saying it like that?" Ava felt her power tingling in her fingers and seep out slowly.

"There was a battle when you left. The barrier had weakened completely from the onslaught that Nyxs goonies had done, that they had a chance to come through your protections." Don said urgently.

"Dad." Ava's voice began to hitch.

Don took a deep breath and closed his eyes stealing him with what he had to say next.

"And Ava...they killed your mother." Tears we're now streaming silently down his face.

Ava's breath stopped and she started to slip down to the ground . She was holding on by a thread as the last year of abuse came back to her crystal clear.