Chapter 25 - Edited

Ava and Artemia appeared in the Caher mountains in Ireland. Her clothes stacked neatly next to her. She had shrunk them and put them in her pocket before turning with Artemia and headed up the tallest mountain.

After three hours of climbing they reached the secret entrance to a stronghold. Pulling aside the vines, Ava pushes through opening a latch. The stone door groaned as it's hinges moved and opened to a lush green garden.

Artemia stepped in first, then Ava. The sun shone from above the canopy that was above them. Light fluttered from treetop to treetop.

Leaves brushed against the garden floor before appearing as the body and face of a women. She blinked twice before smiling and welcomed her in.

"Welcome home." The being echoed before disappearing off into the trees.

Artemia walked slowly off deeper into the garden with one last look over her shoulder at Ava. She wasn't moving. Ava just stood there as the entrance closed behind her locking them in with magic. Things had gotten way out of control. And the only safe place she could think to go was Ireland from a dream she had as a child.

But the place was real.

Ava let the tears fall and the screams she was holding inside released. The fae watched behind the safety of the gardens trees and flowers, as the young woman in front of them let go of all her grief and pain. She had no idea what she was now really. Dreams had given her clues, but she kept those secrets in her childhood diaries that she brought with her. The stories were a mix of all the worlds myths and legends and now she would be using them to categorise her life.

She fell on a tired heap on the soft green grass and took a deep breath in. The air was clearer up in the mountains. The power the gardens welded kept her from feeling any anxiety leftover from the outside world. There was no going back to what was, the only choice now was to move forward now. She would look through all her childhood diaries and see if there were any clues within the pages. But first what she needed to do was sleep.

*****

Artemia watched as Ava fell asleep on the garden floor. They had both had a challenging time of late. Ava more than she. At least as a large six foot wolf, no one would mess with her. But Ava was still young and people found it easy to negate her feelings as part of the pack. They expected a lot of things from her as the Alpha's daughter, but more so now that she had become blessed by the Goddess.

There was so much to fear with their new title, that their pack didn't realise that they would also be having a difficult time with everything. A darkness had over taken the pack and they hadn't seen it until it was too late. Or at least Artemia was more aware of it than Ava was. They dealt with the darkness that was enclosing in on them at the pack house but that was easy. That was a single mass that tried to get into the heart of the pack. But maybe, more had escaped through their protections and had started to seep into the minds of the people they were trying to protect.

With that new knowledge, Artemia believed that all that had happened to them wasn't the fault of the pack but of a darker force entirely. Ava wouldn't be ready to hear that right now. She was still dealing with the pain of witnessing her father kicking her out of the house.

Ava lay sleeping on the garden floor, never feeling the tiny fae that had started to surround her and lift her up into the air to take her to a safer place within the gardens. Artemia disappeared deeper into the garden before leaving down a path that led to the other side of the mountain. She was to go hunting now before Ava woke to find her missing.

Artemia ran alongside the side of the mountain, her claws digging into the rocky dirt; her long stride moving her quickly across the land with ease. She could smell deer in the vicinity. She lifted her nose in the air before changing directions and flowing the scent.

She could hear the hooves thundering on the ground, the sound reverberating under her paws. A growl escaped her lips as she chased and sought out her prey. She found a young stag who looked like he was moving away from the herd and leapt after it. As she went for the kill something stopped her. The stag looked at her, fear in its eyes as he eyed the larger wolves jaws. He knew he wouldn't have a chance against something that big but still fought to get away.

Artemia slowed her gate down until she came to a full stop. She watched as the deer and the stag she was about to kill run over the mountain out of her sight of her for good. She would go hungry today. A kill didn't feel good right now. It churned her stomach and left bile in her mouth.

Hunting will have to wait for another day.

She turned to go back to the garden before she felt something be hung around her neck. She could feel it settle on her white fur and stopped at a small pool of water to get a better look.

It was a medallion from the Goddess.

For protection and to stave away the hunger. When one does not want to kill. One can draw from the power of the medallion and still feel as if they have gorged on the carcass of a stag.

The voice of the Goddess run out inside her head before it disappeared as quickly as it had come.

Artemis did feel full. She felt strong of body, but bruised of spirit.

She knew it would be a while before it all came back to her. The confidence of being a wolf and an Alpha at that.

Time would tell what she became after the grief and loss of the pack had finally sunk in.

As she made her way back to the garden, she let out one last mournful howl. Another thing had worried her now.

Would she ever find a mate now?

She walked across the mountain at a much slower pace, checking in on Ava would be different now. She was no longer inside her head. Artemia would have to see her to know she was alright, or at least alive. They both had the same problem now. They would handle it together. It was the only way. All they had was each other and that was enough for now.

*****

😍 Hey Everyone 😍

Thank you for reading up until this point. Appreciate all the love that this story is receiving.

Christine 💕❤️

Copyright © All Rights Reserved 2020 for NeoNixButterfly21/Christine