Chapter 9 - Edited

Erin Matthews wiped the sweat from her forehead with an already damp cloth. She peered down at the stratigraphy of the archaeological site and sighed. They hadn't had much luck yet. How were they supposed to help their pack without any answers? Ava's life depended on it.

She looked at the two other men with her. They seemed to be thinking the same thing as they all looked at each other at the same time. They stood up and walked out of the site to talk on the grass away from the Erie quiet of the rocks. 

 "What now, Boss?" Warren Hardwick asked.

 "I think we better be going back home. We've found as much as we can, but if we hang around here there is no knowing how much trouble they will be in back home." Rick Stanton replied, pulling an old handkerchief from his pocket and wiping his hands on it. He slipped it back into his pocket and look up at his team. "Time to go home then?" 

 "I think so. But I don't like it. I don't like it one bit." Erin muttered. "We haven't found anything that we can use to Ava. Not one thing!"

"We can't help it. There's nothing here. No clues. No leftovers plates even. It's like the sites been stripped clean of everything." Rick said, the line between his eyebrows deepening.

 "Let's call Don and see what he wants us to do."

 Erin shook her head.

 "Don't let the Alpha hear you call him by his first name, even if he's not here he's going to know about it."

"I'll apologise if he requires me to, but I doubt it. He's the Alpha but he's not unreasonable." Warren said.

 Erin pulled out the satellite phone from her pocket and began to type the number for packs location in Washington, DC. She brought the phone up to her ear and waited for Donald Silverstone to pick up. On the third ring she heard his voice on the other end.

 "Anything Erin?"

 "No, sir. I'm sorry. There is nothing here to excavate. There aren't even any fossils buried. We called to update you, but that is all we have."

 "That's okay, Erin." But she knew that it wasn't okay. They could all hear the defeat in their Alpha's voice.

 "Sir, is everything okay back home?"

 "Erin? Did you say something? I can't hear you."

 "Sir? Can you hear me?"

Warren turned around as he felt his skin start to prickle before he was thrown back far against a tree.

"Erin? What the heck is going on over there? Erin answer me dammit!" Don yelled into the phone.

Don could hear static coming from his phone and then the static stopped and there was an eerie silence before he started to hear cracking, screaming and then growling. The screaming continued and started to get further away before Don heard Erin's voice yell.

"DON HELP US!"

Don shouted "FUCK!" that echoed deep throughout the house. Erys, Ava, the other Alphas, Hamish and some of the other pack members ran in to see what their Alpha was yelling about. He looked at the crowd that was forming in the sitting room and turned the phone on speaker.

"DON HE-" They could hear Erin's screams and the growling of wolves fighting.

Ava stepped forward, Artemia growling deep within her. She closed her eyes and concentrated on Erin's voice. Her feet was rooted in place and the air around her changed. Her voice doubled and deepened and when she opened her eyes, they were silver.

"We come, Erin." Was all Ava said before she stilled again and her essence stepped out of her body and shimmered in place before it disappeared.

Don looked at her daughter, shocked.