Chapter 33 - Edited

Ava and Artemia stood together on Raoul's back deck looking out at the snow capped mountains. They didn't speak, just enjoyed the silence. To be both blessed and cursed was an unusual thing even for werewolves. Ava thought that this was definitely not something the Moon Goddess had in mind. But she should on some level have known...right?

Ava took a deep breath to steady her nerves. Artemia nudge her with her nose and looked deep into Ava's eyes.

There is nothing to be done now but to either break the curse or break the blessing. Which one should we choose?

Ava looked aghast. What do you mean by that?

Artemia looked over the snowy mountains and let the air out of her lungs through her mouth in a huff. She turned away from Ava and walked down the long winding staircase to the snow covered ground beneath them and walked until the ground started to dip down.

You don't feel the pull? The pull to darkness and light at the same time. You can't have one without the other. The balance...we were given great power by the Moon Goddess, but out of jealousy another comes forward and tries to interfere with our purpose. It warped us and the perception others had of us. Deep down they probably really feared us and that is why they treated us like that did. Curse or no curse.

Ava walked to the edge of the balcony before she took a step down and shifted into a hawk. She flew up into a nearby tree and sat perched there thinking about what Artemia said.

I don't remember any other person in the lake with us, just the Moon Goddess.

She hid in the darkness and she is still there waiting. Artemia moved her body until she was laying in the thick bed of snow.

What do we do?

There are murky areas. There are always murky areas. But they both want something from us. Artemia shrugged through their mind link.

Only one is preferably for me, Artemia. I don't want to live in a world of darkness and destruction. You can't want that either. Ava lifted herself off the tree branch and flew down towards Artemia.

That darkness separated us. We are just lucky the Moon Goddess gave us such immense power. Without it, Ava, you are just a mortal. In a human form that can shift to a hawk when the need strikes, but you don't have your werewolf senses anymore. I have had to double my efforts to keep us both safe.

Ava stood in her human form in front of Artemia thinking deeply about what she said.

The fae were drawn to us. We went to Ireland for a safe place to hide because you were in need of their protection and light. Their light help to rid your body of the resentment, the anger you were feeling when our family abandoned us. They cleansed that out of you by just using their light and being kind. If not for them, we would remain in this cursed state and in the unknown of what was going to happen. Now we know.

Ava leaned into Artemia's body, patting the large wolfs back.

So we choose light. There decision made.

Would it ever be that easy? Nyx wants us in darkness. I bet she has caused as much destruction and she can and still plans for more.

Raoul's witches will help us. They will lift the curse. Ava said, her belief swaying.

He and his wolf plan to try. They plan to help us. But the curse, I fear, is stronger than even they know.

Artemia, what do we do?

Artemia stood, gently pushing Ava away from her massive white body. She looked down at Ava her eyes sparkling with mischief and knowledge she had been keeping to herself, but knew was the right time to share.