Chapter 1 - Edited

Hey!

Thank you so much for clicking on my story. I hope you enjoy it!

Many thanks! 😃

Edit: For all those wondering about ages here. Ava was 8 at her near drowning, in this chapter she's 18. Hamish was 18 when they pulled her out of the river, he's 28 now. Please let me know if this make sense and if they're any other errors here. Thank you 🙏✨

*****

8 years later...

Erys Silverstone, 48,  looked over at her daughter emphatically. She knew just how hard she had been working for the last decade to prove to the whole pack that she was worthy to be their next Alpha and now it was beginning to fall apart around her.

Ava sat at the kitchen counter with a huge bowl of cereal in front of her swishing the cheerios to the side of the bowl. She was usually in the kitchen to avoid the leering looks of the pack who didn't think she was worthy of her pending Alpha status. 

She shovelled the cereal quickly into her mouth, the milk dribbling out the corners of her mouth.

"It's not fair, " she whined quietly.

"I know, sweetheart, but things change and we have to do what we think is best for the whole pack."

"Even if it means merging with another pompous, wealthy, egotistical pack?!" Ava rolled her eyes dramatically. 

Hamish (Mac) Macgregor, age 26 and Alpha of the Golds Spark Pack, had been ruining her life ever since she was eight years old and thwarted every chance she had about learning how to become an Alpha.

He had forced her out of meetings and gatherings, saying that it was inappropriate of a "young pup" to learn about the things adults did.

She knew he was right; she was young but she wasn't stupid. She didn't want to know what a body newly ripped apart looked like or even disembowelment until she was at least eighteen. She had mostly asked her dad if she could come for the food and the adventure.

She was curious about the other packs that her father got invited to and wanted to tag along since someday she was going to be Alpha herself. At least that is what her father and mother had been drilling into her all her life. 

At every turn, he would try and block her from reaching the main room where all the good food was kept. It was only later when all the wives and mothers of the Alphas figured she only came for the food that she was allowed into the room to get a plate and leave.

She smiled at the Lunas, past and present, who let her in. Once there, she piled her plate high, poked out her tongue at Hamish who would be glaring at her and eavesdrop on the men and their talk.

It was a good tactic because she never stayed long-only till her plate was too full to carry properly and an older Omega had to come in and help her carry it back out again.

She would always wave innocently at her father who looked slightly embarrassed, poked her tongue one last time at Hamish and waving at the rest of the men, she skipped out following the Omega with her food.

Once the Omega placed her food on the dining room table she thanked them genuinely before eating as much as she could in one sitting.

She never managed to finish those plates fully until she had turned twelve and even then it was struggle. But she always took her plate back to the kitchen and thanked the chef and kitchen staff for the "yummy food". It was the one thing she thought should change among the Alphas. They never thanked their staff for their work. It was their job for being a part of the pack. A means to an end, and kept them safe and fed.