Chapter 39 - Edited

Black sludge covered wolves as the enemy attacked the Silver Light Pack and their comrades. The Elite pack fought hard along side them. Blood, sweat and bones broke and reshaped as wolves changed and shifted between man and wolf and back again so that they could use their weapons. Any thing they could do to keep the black slime from leaving this part of the forest.

Hamish faced a white wolf whose fur was dripping with the black sludge. It's mouth had started to rot and the smell was enough to make even the most steady of men want to heave up his breakfast.

Hamish growled lowly before he circled the rotting wolf. He had a plan. He could see in the corner of his eye that the black sludge wolves were being picked off one by one.

The white wolf was the only one left. His pack broke off from the bodies they had gone to burn, before being cleansed in witches magic to then shift back into their wolves to assist Hamish in the last killing of this turned werewolf.

The white wolf stopped in its tracks before it shifted into a slim woman who wore nothing but a raggedy two pieces of cotton that was only enough to cover her breasts and pubic area. It didn't matter anyway, the cloth was drenched in black goop that dripped from every part of her.

"Are you ready to die wolf?" She hissed, "My master is ready to end all of you or maybe even turn you." She smiled crookedly at him with her rotting teeth, the smell was putrid and gaseous, coming up through her mouth as she spoke.

Hamish shifted smoothly as he moved into his human form, pulling out a long sword from his back that he had hidden in his fur.

"The only one who will die here today is you. What say you? Any last words, chit?"

The woman pulled out a sword of her own that glimmered red with rust, twirling it in her hand as she moved.

"You die. Now!"

She brought up the sword aiming for a death blow to Hamish's head, which he blocked. He grinned, a show of his sharpened teeth but she never looked at his eyes. His eyes were deadly.

He spun away from her blocking blow after blow. He counted in his head every time she moved and shifted. She had a pattern to her fighting from all the training she must had done previously. But it was generic and rudimentary. Her Alpha must have gotten bored training her because he didn't teach her well enough to strike the final death blow. Her movements were sloppy and weak and she relied too much on the brute strength of the darkness that she had inside her. That was a mistake, and would be her down fall.

Hamish moved in quick concession. Each blow he made was to get the were in a corner and off guard. He hit her over and over again striking blows that were inconsistent and didn't have a pattern. He changed sides and spun left and right, aiming to make her dizzy and lose her balance. He kept his eyes focused on her and didn't shift his gaze when she tried to fake him out. It wouldn't work. He spun and swung his sword aiming for her main sword arm, the right. Spinning the other way he cut through her left arm, his blade sliced through rotting flesh over and over again until she looked completely slashed through. Her eyes glinted for a moment with fear as she realised her opponent was stronger and more tactical.

Hamish spun into a crouch cutting her off at the knees quickly before he spun upward to take a swing at her chest. He sliced through her chest opening a wound to her heart. The werewolf screamed in pain as Hamish's blade knocked her blackened heart. He flipped the blade to his other hand and held it there spinning it around he changed the angle of the blade and lifted another short blade from his back and stabbed it straight into the wolfs heart before he swung the long sword up severing the werewolf's head from her body watching it fall to the ground with a thump.

He breathed harshly as he watched his men come forward with fire to burn the body and the witches to come aid in clearing the black sludge that had gotten on him and clean any wounds he may have had but didn't notice.

He wondered about the small group they had sent to look for Ava for a moment but never heard back from. He shook the worry for them from his head to looked around at his and Damon's still standing pack members.

His mate had looked a little worse for wear. He could see the strain at the corner of her eyes and reached for her. Hugging her close before releasing her so he could survey the damage to his other men and women.

"Is that it?" One of the werewolves said.

Hamish looked at the younger man before he rolled his eyes and rolled his shoulders to get the stiffness out.

"All? Haven't you had enough for a straight week of fighting?"

The younger man shrugged. They were exhausted but it was done. Over. What more was there to do?

Damon walked over to him looking tired and worn from battle.

"Is it over, do you think?"

Hamish shook his head, "I don't think so. I think it's just begun but we have eradicated as many as we could. She could always make more, maybe that's exactly what she's gone to do. I wouldn't know what to do if that were the case. The men and women are tired and the witches need food, water and rest otherwise they're no help to anyone. We could be dead next if we had to do this for another day. Let's go back to camp and take shifts to rest, clean up and eat."

Damon nodded before they all turned to walk back to base camp. Some of the men would have to go hunting while the witches looked for herbs and greenery they could use to add to the meat they would have to kill for this big of a group.

"I can hear your thoughts loud and clear Damon."

Damon grinned tiredly.

"We all need to eat. We're all ready to drop as it is."

Hamish nodded. They walked together in silence. As they reached base camp, Damon organised the wolves, witches and fae to go hunt and forage for food.

Hamish watched as the groups divided off to go find food and wished that he had someone who could shift into a bird to keep watch in the skies above them.

Deep down, he wished for Ava's safe return. Shaking his head of any guilt, he went to assist his men in the hunt.

*****

Copyright © All Rights Reserved 2020 to NeoNixButterfly21/Christine

🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

Hi there 👋

Thank you for being patient and waiting for this next chapter to come through but I had some trouble with figuring out how the story was going to move forward. I worked it out so now there is this chapter.

Thank you to all who read this for the support you have given me over the last few months. You have made it annoy for me to continue writing this story. I'm very grateful for it.

See you all very soon,
Christine 🦋🌸🙏