Chapter 3 - Edited

Ava woke the next day in hospital. 

The sun had just begun to creep up the windows of her room but the light was too bright for her tired eyes. She cried out when the sun started to get brighter. She covered her eyes with her hands but it wasn't enough. She turned over in bed, which pulled the muscles in her back and caused her to scream out in pain.Hands touched her side carefully patting down her back trying to ease some of the discomfort.

The hands were strong and gentle at first and made her moan as the pain began to subside. She let out a shaky breath and closed her eyes letting the hands work the muscles in her back.

She didn't notice the tingling up her back until her vision started to clear and her pain subsided a little.

"How do you feel?" The voice rumbled.

Hamish? Crap!

She wasn't going to be snarky. She didn't have the energy. She would thank him and let that be that.

"Thanks, Ham sandwich. I appreciate the help." She whispered as her breath hitched in her lungs as the pain started again.

Hamish could sense the power surging upward. Her muscles were tightening again as soon as he finished unloosening one knot in Ava's back.

She sighed, the air rushing out of her mouth quickly. Her eyes starting to water as the pain started again. She opened her eyes just a little bit and looked at him the pain clearly in her eyes.

"Shhh, don't talk just breathe." He said. 

She closed her eyes again and let Hamish work on her back. 

A nurse walked in, Violet, and watched as one of the most powerful alphas worked on massaging their patients back.

Violet walked in and checked over Ava before stating.

"I will ask the doctor about giving you a muscle relaxant to help with the muscle spasms."

Hamish nodded quickly but kept his eyes on his mate. Ava was beginning to relax again under his hands, but he could feel another muscle in her back begin to tense. He didn't have enough hands to get to all the places that needed attention and unknotting.

He was worried she would scream again if he stopped, so he focused on making sure he thoroughly worked through each spasm one by one.

The doctor came into the room and assessed the situation before pulling out a syringe from her white coat pocket.

"Ava, I have a muscle relaxant, that your parents say your not allergic to and I'm just going to inject it into your leg quickly. It might hurt a little but it will help with the pain. I need your consent."

Ava nodded and blew out a hurried "yes" and the doctor carefully administered the drug.

Ava could feel the drug working through her system and her back started to relax.

It relaxed so much that she nearly fell off the bed. Hamish caught her by placing a hand on her chest and gently turning her back over.

She closed her eyes and the pain started to dissipate and she felt the overwhelming urge to sleep. Hamish grabbed her hand gently and squeezed. She opened her blurry eyes to him and murmured her thanks. Ava fell into a deep sleep before she could even apologise for hurting him, the drugs were just too strong. 

*****

Hamish watched his mate sleep. She looked too drained and weak for his liking. Whatever was happening to her was changing her body chemistry and physicality too quickly, causing muscle spasms and what else he couldn't fathom. But now she rested peacefully as he replayed over and over the sound of her scream as pain wracked through her body. He didn't know what to do. He was at a loss.