Chapter 13 - Edited

Don led the Elite Alpha and his men to the clinic where his daughter had been recuperating since the day of the incident in Greece.

He led Damon to a private room that hadn't been used before, opened the door and walked to the side of his daughters' bed.

Ava was staring at the ceiling with her nose scrunched up and her eyes turned into slits as she sniffed the air. Her head turned slowly back and forth as she was trying to decipher where the strong smell was coming from.

"What the heck smells like hot caramel waffles, burnt butter ice cream and deep-fried chicken!?"

Ava's question was met with silence. No one knew what she was talking about. The other werewolves sniffed the air and each other, checking to see if they could find the scent Ava had described.

"No one here smells like that, Ava." Don said, quietly.

"Are you sure? It's pretty prominent."

"I'm sure."

Damon stepped from behind one of his men to get a better look at the young woman. She was smaller than he thought, with long brown hair that fanned out behind her head. She looked a little thin in the face and her body was somewhat flat beneath the clinics robe. When their eyes met he felt heat immediately pool in the bottom of his gut and his heart pull out of his chest. Damon could feel his blood racing through his veins and his pulse going a mile a minute.

This was the one. She...was the one.

Was his immediate thought. But she was so young, and already had a mate that was in the picture that he had gathered from his intel, Hamish, and he was already over-protective of her.

He wasn't sure if they were already mated yet or not. He couldn't smell the man on her, just the scent of her family and some of the other Alpha's that were staying with the Silver Light Pack.

No, she was unmated. He felt his wolf stir inside him wanting to come out and rub all over the girl on the bed.

Since they arrived in her room, she did not move, as if she couldn't. Was her spine that affected by what she had done?

He assessed her, ignoring the molten lava that was now turning inside his gut. He would have her. He had been waiting for this moment for so long, but now wasn't the time. There would be trouble if he were to take her away from another Alpha her father had already trusted.

Damon wondered what it meant for a pair of werewolves to have more than one mate. What did it mean for the mate they left behind? Did they find another or were they left to live a life alone if their mate chose the stronger connection? He knew that this pull to Ava was a lot stronger than his pull to Vivienne. There was just something that was different between the two of them.

A flash of an image of a girl on a battlefield quickly went through his mind and he had to stop himself from shifting then and there with anger. He waited until the image cleared before he could look back on it and recall who the girl actually was.

In the dream, the girl had always been surrounded by carnage, dead weres of all kinds and she had blood dripping from her hands and nails. Her hair flew wildly in the wind and she wore this delicate night gown.

Damon took a step closer to Ava and peered down at her and took a really good look at her. Their eyes connected again, maybe even going deeper into their souls, and ceiling lights seemed to pulse and a pressure built in the room and began to explode one by one.

The werewolves covered their faces and Don quickly covered his daughters face from the broken glass.

"What the FUCK just happened?!" Greg yelled.

Vivienne having watched her mate with interest knew what had happened. After dusting carefully the fallen glass from her clothes, she remembered something her grandmother had told her. It was a myth to many others in her position. It was something that had long since been forgotten, but her grandmother had a mind like a hawk and saw everything that was and that wasn't. Her grandmother had warned her before she left on this mission to not put all her hopes and dreams in Damon.

Nothing is as it seems, Vivvy. We are not always destined for who we think we are meant to be with. Sometimes things just are, and we have to go with the flow, or we will end up facing more troubled times than we deserve.

Her grandmother had always been someone who could see through the layers and the intricacies of the werewolf mind and then go one step further and feel deep within there own truths even before they themselves recognised it.

Maybe Vivienne wasn't meant for Damon, but she wondered now if she was going to be fated to be alone now that he found his True Mate. At least that was what she suspected.

True Mates were always stronger than just Mates and had died out over nearly 200 years ago. The 21st Century meant that True Mates didn't need to exist in these times because of technology and the people were more level-headed now than they had been about two hundred years ago when all there was, was war and death.

But this situation, where a broken were lay in a hospital bed unable to move from using power she had not been able to control or that controlled her was now True Mates to her Mate.

Vivienne looked down at the young woman, Ava,  lying in the bed. She watched them closely as they seemed to not be aware that there was anyone else in the room with them. It was definitely a lot different than her and Damon's connection. He already felt like they weren't Mates, maybe because he had known that there was something else out there for him. Some men just knew. But it was unheard of for a werewolf to ignore his Mate and search for someone else. That just didn't happen. Actually, it never happened. So, the fact that it did now just goes to show that this time was different and the threat they were all facing needed the power and the knowledge of the Ancients.

Was Ava and Damon chosen by the Ancients to shift the world as it was now? Were they going to save their world from the horrific darkness that was trying to overthrow them?

This couldn't be happening. Ancients, or the even the existence of them were a fairytale. They no longer existed in this world. They were supposed to have died off with the last war. But now they were resurfacing.

What the heck was the Goddess of Light thinking?

*****

A/N - Hi all! If you still want to create a character and be "IN" my story, leave your characters name, age, power and were species in the comments below.

I just want to add that you won't get credit for the character since I'm the one writing it, but if this book ever gets published you will get a honourable mention in my book to the people I will thank for help me to write this book.

Thanks again for reading my story :)

Copyright © All Rights Reserved 2020 for NeoNixButterfly21/Christine