Chapter 5 - Edited

One Month Later...

Ava lay on the bed in her room looking up at the ceiling. She was bored. She was really bored. She couldn't go to meetings because if she over exerted herself even a little she would accidentally let out power that she had no control over.

The only person who could calm her spirit and body down was Hamish, and she wasn't sure if she liked that at all.

She had spent so much time hating and despising him over the last eight years, that now she didn't know how to act around him. 

He came to see her everyday, laying next to her on her bed to talk to her about everything she missed. He knew her well enough now to know that she needed this, but she knew he censored out parts so he wouldn't get her into trouble. It didn't stop her from badgering him with a myriad of questions. She still managed to talk his ear off, more so now, that she understood more of their world. 

She was just that kind of person; intelligent, agile and quick to judge any crowd she walked into. 

Ava knew he was keeping things from her in order to protect her. She didn't need him to. That was what her parents were for. Her dad would just tell her anything she missed and he did through their family mind link. Her mother baked her cookies, made her favourite meals and encouraged her to practice yoga everyday so that the pent up energy could move through her body and out safely. She had managed downward dog before the movement had her screaming in agony and the whole pack racing up to her room to help. 

On one particularly bad day, the power had been so pent up in her system that her scream could be heard across the whole twenty acres of the pack grounds . Howls from wolves in training and those running the perimeter, could be heard by Ava from all the way in her bedroom. The sensory overload was immense. Her family had found her on the floor in the foetal position clutching her ears tightly while taking in harsh breaths. 

Flashback

It was a particularly bad day for Ava. She had created organic things out of nowhere. The first being a lightning storm and the second,  a blazing fire. Both of these elements seemed to be warring inside her, but the only thing her parents could think to do was splash ice water on her. The lightning cracked before going out as the cold water shocked her. However, this made the rain start. It rained throughout all the rooms in the house, all thirty-six of them, causing everyone to scream and run out of the house in a hurry. Everything was soaking wet through for a month. 

Hamish had walked into her room and picked her up before running quickly out of the house. When the sun hit her face, her eyes opened and the rain stopped. Everyone had begrudgingly cleaned and dried the whole pack house. Annoyed at the extra duties to perform, the Alpha had demanded that Ava be taken off pack lands until most of the drying was completed. Ava had grumbled as she changed into dry clothes in the back shed and followed Hamish to his black SUV. 

They left the pack house and drove for 5 hours, until they reached a beach. Hamish parked the SUV before opening his door and walking around the back where a large picnic hamper sat. He opened the passenger door for Ava and waited for her to step out before locking the SUV and leading Ava to a shaded place on the beach. He placed a blanket on the sand and propped a beach umbrella behind him trying to act as perfectly normal as he could.

Ava's silence was setting his nerves on edge, but he refrained from growling. 

"You don't need to do this, Hamish."

"Why not? It's a good excuse to avoid work for a while. We both needed a break." Hamish said, pulling out a huge bucket of fried chicken, potato salad, fruit, two large pieces of chocolate cake and a flask of peach iced tea.