Chapter 43 - Edited

Ava woke in her mates arms to a flurry of people, voices and music. The door burst open to a group of maids coming in holding stacks of material, food and wine. A larger and older lady stood at the foot of the bed and smiled down at the couple.

"It is time to get up and start the day." Her voice was heavily accented and European.

Raoul smiled and kissed the top of his mates head before disengaging her from his arms. He was led away quickly by a group of men holding measuring tapes and velvet, silk material.

"Madame, it is time to get up for your fittings."

Ava sat up in bed, reaching for her robe and putting it on, she sleepily walked to the adjacent bathroom. She showered quickly and while brushing her teeth, the older woman stood in the doorway tapping her foot. Ava finished up and turned to leave the bathroom, the woman followed her clicking her tongue as she went in disapproval.

"Ava, this is Marabelle, she will be your seamstress. Just tell her what you would like and she can make it for you." The older woman nodded to the seamstress and left the room, her short legs carrying her in a quick yet clipped gate.

"So Ava, what kind of dress do you imagine for this auspicious day?" The seamstress smiled.

Ava eyes widened completely bewildered.

"Excuse me?"

Ava looked over at Raoul who seemed to be just as confused as she was. Ava turned away from the women and headed for the door; her hands and hair were electrifying with untapped nervous energy. She lifted her hands and the doors opened with a bang.

Raoul looked up and saw his mates furious look and hurriedly went after her, half dressed in makeshift pants.

People were everywhere and it was utter chaos. She ran down the long staircase where she saw Raoul's father and King organising a group of butlers and maids. He never saw her lift her arms up high and the power of the Goddess come flowing out of her in the heat of her anger. Even Goddesses got angry child, let it out.

Ava threw the King against the furthest marble wall and watched as the wind was knocked out of him.

"What is the meaning of this?" She asked, her voice layered with power and rage.

The King struggled to take a breath, before smiling strangely.

"Your marr-" he wheezed out another breath. "Your getting married." Wheezes again, "To my son."

Raoul, hearing the last part raised his eyebrows high. It didn't surprise him that his father was making plans on his behalf.

Ava started to shift. Her wolf was strongly displeased that her life was being designed for her. They had just gotten free and would never let anyone overtake their autonomy again. If she and Raoul wanted to marry, then it would be their decision.

Artemia, already being a rather large wolf had grown another head after the connection with Nyx was severed. Artemia rose to her most intimating height and barked at the King. The sound was loud enough to shatter glass and to make ears bleed. Her hackles were up and power moved through her long white fur. She didn't see the fear in the peoples eyes, but wouldn't have cared if she did. Enough was enough.

"You will not plan my life without my consent."

She took a step closer as she lowered the King a foot closer to the floor.

"You will not plan a wedding without my consent."

Artemia lowered the King another foot until her face was level with his and growled low in her throat. She opened her mouth, her lips pulled over her teeth as her rage and power coursed through her veins.

"You will not plan something that has not been discussed by my mate and I. You will not rule or command us to do anything." Artemia growled.

"Or what?"

"Die."  Artemia snapped her wide jaws intimidatingly in his face.

Raoul stopped next to Artemia and laid a hand on her side. Artemia turned her head looking down at her mate before she turned to go back upstairs.

Raoul glared at his father and the onlookers. He could see fear in their eyes but didn't care. His father had crossed a line.

"We will get married when we choose to and not before. That's final."

Raoul watched his father rub the back of his head and come back with spots of blood. His brow furrowing as he stared down at his hand. The King straightened to his full height and looked down his nose at his son.

"I've acted in accordance with our ways. I have not overstepped my bounds as King. You will both be married by end of day, otherwise, you both can leave."

"Your majesty-" Raoul ground out between his teeth, "You and I both know you cannot afford for us to leave again. You will apologise and you will cease your plans, otherwise we will leave and I just have to say, may the Goddess have mercy on your soul for going against her only daughter."

Raoul turned to leave and followed his mate up the stairs to their bedroom again.

*****
Ava paced her and Raoul's bedroom with tears streaming down her face. She didn't know what or why she reacted the way she did but she had little control over her life as it was and this just struck her last nerve. She didn't want to blow up the way she did in fear. She had to stop letting Nyx in her head and had to stop letting her insecurities get the better of her.

When did she start doing that? 

They still had a lot to do before the threat of Nyx was finished. She could feel it. It was as soon as the darkness within her was removed, she could feel darkness so much more clearer. She panicked. There was no other way to describe her reaction. She lost it with her mates father because she could feel the darkness creeping back to them. Albeit slowly.

The only thing she could concentrate on now was stemming the flow of darkness that was coming. No matter the cost. And tying her mate to her in marriage would break both of them if one were to die. She would save him from that if she could. There was always a possibility that he could find someone else if she was killed. If he wanted to. But if they were married, they would both die. It was the way of true werewolves.

They mated for life and when a ceremony like marriage was done, it drew in the Goddess to bless them even further and in doing so it strengthened the bond of all supernatural creatures. She couldn't do that to Raoul. Thinking his father would force that on them when war was still so eminent made her furious.

He would have to know what would happen. Right?

Ava shook her head. He had to have known. He was the King, centuries old.

What was he up to?

Ava turned as the door to the bedroom opened with a bang and watched as her mate walked to her to hurriedly. He swept her up in his arms and held her murmuring words of apology. They stayed like that until the beating of their hearts evened out. Ava pulled back enough to kiss her mate deeply and he carried her to their bed, laying her down carefully and hoping to erase the rejection of Ava's refusal to marry him, they let their touch soothe the early morning drama away.

Copyright © All Rights Reserved 2020 to NeoNixButterfly21/Christine