Chapter 37 - Edited

The small troop of magical creatures finally made it to their destination. The scent of Ava and Artemia was all over the mountain. She felt close but the scent smelt old.

Kyo led the small group by scent further down the mountain until they walked into an wide opening of land in between two mountains.

Cabins were placed around one larger house that had glass doors and a wide patio. He led the troop towards the larger house. The scents that were there were strange but one scent stood out to him.

Arla follow Kyo sending out her own gifts to touch anything, any energy she may recognise. But she felt nothing.

The snow crunched under their feet, and sinking into the snow which came up to their knees they all continued towards the house.

"There is no one here. We missed them." Arla said.

Kyo nodded. He sent the wolves around in groups of two to see if they were truly alone. He climbed up what he thought was the main house and peered through the glass door. It was quiet, like the house had been shut up for a long period of time. White sheets covered the furniture and the lights were off.

He searched around the patio looking for some sort of key or opening. He checked every space, running his fingers through the wooden fence that kept the occupants from falling over the edge and onto the ground below. He checked the whole fence. Something telling him that there was something there. His hands stopped at the top staircase fence post. He felt up and down the post and felt a latch. Yes! He pulled out a key and held it up.

"How'd you know that was there?" Arla asked.

Kyo looked at the witch and smiled.

"Werewolves leave a key or something like it for other wolves who may need a place to stay. Especially if we are up in places where it's the coldest. The only werewolves that don't know about this rule are rogues." He said.

"That's lucky. At least we won't all freeze to death."

"Yeah, but wolves don't freeze." A young werewolf commented.

Kyo looked up and saw the werewolves were on there way back. They held baskets of items that he could tell was food, blankets and fresh water. Kyo used the key and opened the door. There was no alarm system but he felt the presence of a very powerful werewolf. The other wolves felt it to. He checked the lights, the power was turned off.

"Reece? Go find the power box and turn the power on." The werewolf nodded and went in search of it.

Arla looked at Kyo to see what he wanted to do next. Silently they decided they would both be "Alpha" here and the witches and fae do what they did best while the werewolves kept them all safe by guarding them.

Arla, the witches and fae went into the kitchen to prepare something warm for dinner. As the lights came on, there was power and hot water. Kyo organised an order for hot showers, sleeping arrangements and chores to keep this house in order. Before they left, they would leave the house as they found it. Immaculate.

✨✨✨✨✨✨

Half way passed Norway

The seas were wild one minute and placid the next. The sails were down as the wind picked up propelling the ship further out to sea.

Underneath the water dolphins and whales played before they moved away following warmer waters. Ava watched the water with interest having never seen them so up close before. Artemia was sitting beside her retching over the edge as the water moved in a fast spiral motion too quick for her to get back any equilibrium. Ava patted Artemia's back making sure she was okay and had cleared away everything.

A bowl of water was brought quickly, which Artemis lapped up, trying to still her queasy stomach. Ava walked back inside the ship with her wolf, moving her to a soft sitting area for werewolves who were sea sick. There weren't many but the beds they slept on kept the moving of the ship mild. Ava sat with her until she fell asleep.

The sun was setting again on the end of their third day out at sea. It was beautiful out here and the seas were vast, blue and deep, but Ava was uneasy about it. Every time she woke to a new day, the water felt different. The horizon was strange and everything seemed to be further away then it should be. 

Fog started to set in around them and the ship slowed down. It moved gently through the water. The sound of whales singing behind them meant that they had left the sight of land long behind.  

A soft keening could be heard below in the water. Ava looked down to see an iridescent tail disappear into the water. 

Maarg-gick! The creature hissed. 

The werewolves moved onto the top deck of the ship and looked in the direction of the bow. The sky simmered gold light, sparkling against the water below and blinding to whoever looked below. Ava walked closer to the front of the ship in awe of what she saw. Instead of ice on the Arctic, what opened up before her was light. Warm toned trees about to lose their leaves lined the edges of the land that was both close and far away. The air got colder at first before it started to warm and the sky glowed pink and purple against a now darkening night. 

Raoul walked towards his mate slowly his hands outstretched. Circling his hands around her waist from behind. 

He smiled into her hair, before he whispered, "Welcome to my homeland." 

The ship continued to flow down a long, wide river followed by the creatures of the sea. 

"How long until we reach our destination?" 

"About four days." Raoul said. 

Ava nodded her head before leaning back into Raoul as his warmth wrapped around her. Other werewolves seemed to be just as excited as she was to be finally near the end of their trip. She wanted to see all the places were her mate grew up. She closed her eyes and breathed in the new scents. It smelt crisp, yet warm and powerful. 

A single drum sounded in the distance, counting along to a single beat. 

"What's that drumming?" 

"A beat of welcome. The seconds are counted down along the way until we dock, for safe and a smooth travel." 

Raoul held her close and Ava just lay in his strength as the drum continued to beat onward. 

Werewolves filtered back and forth, coming back with blankets, lamps and food as they enjoyed the first few moments of being home. Raoul guided Ava over to his family and they sat down to enjoy a quiet dinner under the moonlight and the stars. 

Copyright © All Rights Reserved 2020 to NeoNixButterfly21/Christine