Chapter 7 - Edited

The forest was quiet but for the soft breathing of the animals tucked away in their burrows.

The sun touched the tops of trees so that no light could get through, which made the forest dark and unwelcoming to trespassers.

Rustling could be heard as joyful feet kicked up the dry leaves and moss as two highly energetic bodies ran through the forest. Laughter echoed off the trees; the sound like children playing. But these were not ordinary children. For they were in fact not children. 

"Zil-bat! No fair! You cheated." Nirmir whined.

"Did not! Did not! Did NOT! You're just too slow..too slow..too slow!"

Zil-bat ran towards a thick trunk of an oak tree and did a backflip landing on his head on the hard forest floor. His laugh came out of his belly like a jackhammer.

"You cheated! If you weren't mama's favourite...I would boil you over an open fire and put you on the altar as a gift for the gods. I wonder if they like boiled meat." Nirmir inquired.

Zil-bat visibly shivered.

"Nope! They don't eat things with eyes and that are boiled. Har-dee-har! You have to gut me and roast me over an open fire yourself! I would look very delicious then. And maybe Hades might feed bits of me to his three-headed dog!" he let out one bark of a laugh. 

Nirmir laughed out loud too at his younger brother. 

"Race you, porcupine face!"

Nirmir tagged his brother and raced back the way they came stopping in an open clearing where a few deer came to graze.

"Mama!" Zil-bat screamed looking up at the night sky, "He wants to boil me and feed me to the Gods!"

A burst of warm laughter could be heard and the two boys turned around to see the disappearing view of the moon.

"Boys behave. It is time for the next step."

"Really?" They asked in awe. 

"Yes. Go...before Apollo reaches the highest apex of the mountain. Go now!"

Zil-bat and Nirmir looked at each other, their pale white faces against dark hair looking bewildered for a moment before bumping fists and turning away from each other, going off in two separate directions looking for their next targets.

Zil-bat reached into his right short pocket and pulled out a disk. He opened it and three light orbs escaped.

He shoved the disc back in his pocket and took his speed up a level. The light orbs glowed different colours as they followed Zil-bat deeper into the forest.

Nirmir, however, let out a drawn-out whistle that only dogs could hear.

A large white and red wolf-spirit ran out of the woods behind Nirmir and scooped him up by its nose until Nirmir was sitting comfortably on its back.

"Run, Zebar! Run to the North-wind! It's finally time!" Nirmir squealed and Zebar let out a long howl, which was echoed back by other wolf-spirits howling in response. They would protect the forest while they were away. 

With one more loud HOOT! Nirmir and Zebar disappeared into the trees dissolving into sheer light forms. Both were now out of sight and only in the view of the Goddess. 

Things were getting fun and interesting for the forest children who had been getting bored waiting around for Selene's child to be born. How they both hated the way time past, slow then fast, to not at all.

Maybe this last battle would release them both from being forever earthbound. Maybe they would and could do enough to finally pass through to the Otherside and be with their Mama.

Both knew it was a dream, for neither knew how this was going to end.

*****

Hey Wattpaders,

Sorry, these last few chapters were short and sweet, but they are fillers meant to help with the upcoming parts in the story. The setup.

This story is going to get even more interesting as I keep writing. And hopefully not too cliche. *Fingers Crossed*

If you want to be a part of my story in any way, there's all the information in my last "Author's Note" and if you have any suggestions on how I can improve on my writing, please leave a comment below. Remember, be kind and that any hate-filled comments won't be responded to, as we are all trying the best we can. However, critical feedback that helps will be fully welcomed!

Much love to all of you!

Christine xo :)

Copyright © All Rights Reserved  2020 to NeoNixButterfly21/Christine